• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod and head suitability (1 Viewer)

Birdingam

I'm sure some of you out there may be able to help me with this question.

I currently use a CP4500 with an Eagle eye adaptor attached to a Televid APO 77 scope. My current tripod and head are inadequate, in that when I lock the tripod head, the centre of balance of the equipment makes the head tilt upwards and the subject is then out of shot. Certainly frustrating.

However, I'm considering buying a Manfrotto 055 (Bogen 3221) tripod with a 128RC (Bogen 3130) head. Will this help me with my problem or should I look to get a sliding plate as well, or indeed get a more expensive head like the 501 (Bogen 3433). Any suggestions, recommendations etc gratefully received.

I've just bought the same set-up and am very happy with it (my previous tripod used to do the same tilting). A mate of mine is using the same set up (he also has an APO77 with a Digilux1 camera - heavier than the cp4500).
All that said, it's a bit of a bruiser to be lugging around all day, but then more weight = more stability........

Although many digiscopers are happy with 128RC, I would say that 501 is a significant improvement - or even better Gitzo G2380 (http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric/video/heads/rightscreen.php3). For your most frustrating problem with balance you could consider a long sliding plate (eg. http://www.fotofennica.fi/osc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1077), which lets you find the complete balance of your setup.

Seeing you already have a Leica scope, I would be tempted to recommend the more expensive solution ;)

Hi guys
Don't know if this will be any help but I suffer with the same problem. Get on the bird lock the head and then find camera weight drops the back end.

I am going to Cley Spy in Norfolk on saturday to try out a manfrotto 501 in an attempt to combat this prob let you know how I get on.

Present set up is Leica apo cp995 slik d3.

Pete

I had a Manfrotto 190B tripod with a 128RC head and experienced the same problem. I have since changed to the 501 head which is much larger and the problem has disappeared. The head remains in the position that you set it and is much more stable than the 128RC.

Heavyweight heads

Thanks Golfnut and all you others who repsonded. A particularly interesting thread you have started on tihs subject, but in short, there appears no better alternative than to get a 501 head.

Birdingam (Andy)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back