• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch preying on Marsh tit chicks? (1 Viewer)

Natterjak

Hi,

Earlier today I went out into the garden to water plants and as I approached our nest box, in which a pair of Marsh tits are raising their chicks, there was a commotion with the Marsh tits parents tweeting and flapping their wings. I was amazed to see it was a nuthatch causing all the fuss - he was perched on the roof of the nest box looking very interested in the opening as though he was waiting for something to emerge. The nuthatch moved around to various places within our silver birch tree, on which the nest box is placed. Only when he noticed my presence did he fly off, and then the Marsh tits becoming much less stressed and resuming feeding the young birds inside the box once I moved away.

I can scarcely believe that a nuthatch would prey on Marsh tit chicks, but it is how it appeared. Certainly the nuthatch' presence was causing the Marsh tits concern, as though it were a threat to the chicks.

I realise an alternative explanation might be that it was my presence which caused the birds to freak out, but I really don't think it's the case as I've often seen them popping into and out of the nest box while I'm watering the plants, without such concern as they showed today.

Well further to yesterday's experience, today I noticed a brightly coloured bird clinging to the outside of the bird box and upon dashing out to the garden I saw it was a great spotted woodpecker. He flew away and I could then see damage to the front of the box where he was hammering his way in.

Are these larger birds trying to kill and eat the Marsh tit chicks, or is there some other explanation? Would there perhaps be a stockpile of food inside the box which they're trying to reach, or perhaps it's an attempt to take over the site and nest there? Or maybe my first thought is correct, that the Marsh tit babies are a tempting treat for these larger birds?

Edit: later I heard a loud knocking sound and came out into the garden to see the great spotted woodpecker was back, pecking away at the front of the nest box.

I'd be interested in your views on this. For now I'll have to leave the nest box as is and once the Marsh tit chicks fledge (if they survived) then I'll get it down and repair the front.

i am not expert at all but i have seen a few posts where people recognise this predation by these birds and fix metal plates, mesh and other means of nest box protection.

i am surprised none of the regular experts have responded but posts are easy to miss when so many come in.
try a google about 'nestboxes protect against woodpecker' or similar

Thanks for your replies, I'll get one of those plates and see how we get on next year. So I guess the great spotted woodpecker did take the Marsh tit chicks as there's been no visible activity in the past couple of days.

Quite a letdown but I suppose it is nature taking its course and the attrition rate is the reason birds lay so many eggs. Now I'm a bit wiser I'll try to provide them a safer nest box next year.

Thanks for your replies, I'll get one of those plates and see how we get on next year. So I guess the great spotted woodpecker did take the Marsh tit chicks as there's been no visible activity in the past couple of days.

Quite a letdown but I suppose it is nature taking its course and the attrition rate is the reason birds lay so many eggs. Now I'm a bit wiser I'll try to provide them a safer nest box next year.

my reading also says the size of the hole or tube also makes a difference not just to predation but which birds use the box. good luck next year!

The BBC Spring watch series shows just how many nests get predated by other birds, this years edition showed a Great spotted woodpecker taking tree creeper chicks from the nest and also showing plenty of interest in a Blue Tit nest box.
A Little Owl cleared a Blackbird nest in one barn then started on another one in a nearby shed and a Jay has appeared in this years and last years shows plundering Grey Wagtail, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch among others.
Not surprised at the Jay but quite surprised by the Woodpecker.

I'd thought the bird on bird predation was mostly by raptors, owls, corvids and icterids. Having nuthatches and woodpeckers in that boat is definitely a surprise to me.

Could it be the nuthatch was lusting for the nest box? Here in the US, house sparrows commonly kill Bluebirds and usurp their nest boxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back