• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disabled grey butcher bird in Sydney (1 Viewer)

Deb C

Hi there,
I am new to this site but would appreciate your collective advice. A juvenile butcher bird turned up at my house a couple of days ago, sat on our pool fence,, stayed close and seemed to want something. He has a nasty big bulbous red tumour ? on one eye and on the same side, has a large round ball type tumour that takes up the entire space under his claws.
So I had some cooked chicken in the fridge and fed him little bits. I throw them up into the air and he flies up to catch them.
Well..for the last 3 days, he turns up morning and evening to be fed.
I am worried that he is...or will be dependant on me but equally worried that he needs help.
So, I am going to buy some mince meat today for him.....but your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Deb, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and admin. Do you have a rehabilitation center in your area? If so I would definitely see if they can be of help.

Hi Deb and welcome aboard :t:

Do you have a wildlife rehabilitator nearby? If so, see if they can come by and catch the poor thing.

Hi Deb - welcome ! :t: :)

Try giving WIRES a call - if they can't help, they can probably direct you to someone who can.

Chosun :gh:

Hi Deb and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back