• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

tonights badgerwatch at same place,but Gladys mom is sure she saw one 50metres up on the same side where we met tonight dave.by one of the wooden post.4 badgers seen again

Attachments

• badgers 010.jpg
    badgers 010.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 144
  • badgers 011.jpg
    badgers 011.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 154
tonights badgerwatch at same place,but Gladys mom is sure she saw one 50metres up on the same side where we met tonight dave.by one of the wooden post.4 badgers seen again

There is a second sett on the towpath side of the canal near there - I'll show you next time I see you down there if you like.

One evening I was just resting by that sett (leaning on a fence) when two very small Badger cubs came out and started scrapping with each other right in front of me - seemingly oblivious! Then their mother appeared out of the sett and started dragging a load of vegetation (presumably bedding material) out of one of the holes. It's brilliant when you find yourself immersed in their world. :t:

Lots of passerine activity this morning. Scanning the bushes in the sloping pasture north of the meadow (pictured below) initially produced a female-type Common Redstart. Then out popped a cracking male Redstart and they both continued to show for about 10 minutes before disappearing. This area shows a lot of promise and could turn up a real goody during the autumn.

Along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood there were 3 Lesser Whitethroats and a Garden Warbler.

Good-sized flocks of Goldfinches, Linnets and Greenfinches were present, especially in the newly-harvested fields between Droitwich and Salwarpe.

Also present today: 8+ Willow Warblers, 6+ Goldcrests, 2 Grey Wagtails, 4 Common Whitethroats, 3 Sedge Warblers, Bullfinches, Treecreepers, Kingfisher, 3 Cormorants over, Grey Heron, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Buzzards, Nuthatch, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers.

Yesterday, a Spotted Flycatcher was by the weir and a pair of Kestrels was a welcome sight as they've been scarce lately.

Insects seen this weekend include both Ruddy Darter and Common Darter (record shots of both below), Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, Common Blue Damselfly, Banded Demoiselle, Green-veined White, Small White, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and a few Skippers. The meadow is currently buzzing with Grasshoppers and the odd Bush Cricket.

Attachments

• Coney Meadow.jpg
    Coney Meadow.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Ruddy Darter Salwarpe.JPG
    Ruddy Darter Salwarpe.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Common Darter Salwarpe.JPG
    Common Darter Salwarpe.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Two Water Rails calling from the reedbed this evening. Two Ravens came in to their roosting tree and the hirundine flock gathered - mainly Swallows but with increasing amounts of Sand Martins (~500 birds in total). Seven Swifts over.

Roesel's Bush Cricket??

Just looking through some of my photos taken this year in Coney Meadow. I previously thought this one was just a Grasshopper sp. However, looking at it more closely, I'm beginning to think it might be a Roesel's Bush Cricket. This species is a recent colonist in Worcestershire so it would be good to confirm it. If it is one, then there are loads (and I mean loads!) of them in the meadow and the description of its song sounds right also - like a buzzing electricity pylon.

However, I'm new to Orthoptera so it would be great if someone out there could confirm my suspicions or put me right. I realise the photo isn't great so I'll try and get a better one at some point.

Cheers.:t:

Attachments

• 20Coney%20Meadow.jpg
    20Coney%20Meadow.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 142
Just looking through some of my photos taken this year in Coney Meadow. I previously thought this one was just a Grasshopper sp. However, looking at it more closely, I'm beginning to think it might be a Roesel's Bush Cricket. This species is a recent colonist in Worcestershire so it would be good to confirm it. If it is one, then there are loads (and I mean loads!) of them in the meadow and the description of its song sounds right also - like a buzzing electricity pylon.

However, I'm new to Orthoptera so it would be great if someone out there could confirm my suspicions or put me right. I realise the photo isn't great so I'll try and get a better one at some point.

Cheers.:t:

It certainly looks like one Dave. They were discovered in large numbers in Worcestershire in 2007, formerly being a coastal species. A chap called Gary Farmer is the expert at the Worcestershire Biological Records Committee based at Smite Farm. I have sent him a record within the last week of one of the cone-heads I photographed not far from home and would be new to the 10km square.

Des.

It certainly looks like one Dave. They were discovered in large numbers in Worcestershire in 2007, formerly being a coastal species. A chap called Gary Farmer is the expert at the Worcestershire Biological Records Committee based at Smite Farm. I have sent him a record within the last week of one of the cone-heads I photographed not far from home and would be new to the 10km square.

Des.

Cheers Des, I'll be looking out for Coneheads too as I understand they're often found in similar habitats. Do you think it's worth me sending the records to WBRC? I have noted the exact grid ref at home if that helps. :t:

Cheers Des, I'll be looking out for Coneheads too as I understand they're often found in similar habitats. Do you think it's worth me sending the records to WBRC? I have noted the exact grid ref at home if that helps. :t:

WBRC will be happy to have your records. Of course the square you found the cricket in could already have records, but you will not know until you contact WBRC.

Des.

Dave, I've had a look at the NBN Gateway website which has current data sets for fauna and flora, and the square including Coney Meadows, SO86, does not have your bush cricket recorded in it. Virtually every other square in central and southern VC 37 does! Obviously my information would need confirmation.

Des.

Dave, I've had a look at the NBN Gateway website which has current data sets for fauna and flora, and the square including Coney Meadows, SO86, does not have your bush cricket recorded in it. Virtually every other square in central and southern VC 37 does! Obviously my information would need confirmation.

Des.

Nice one - Cheers for the info, Des. According to my phone app, the exact grid ref where I photographed it is SO878623 - supposedly accurate to 8 metres.

Please could you e-mail or PM me Gary Farmer's e-mail address and I will send the record to him. Thanks.:t:

Went down this evening - very quiet bird-wise - even the Swallow roost was down - probably less than 150 individuals cf. 400 - 500 the other evening.

Other than that, many Chiffchaffs, a couple of Willow Warblers, Reed Warblers, Linnets, Goldfinches, Long-tailed Tits, Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 1 Swift, 3 Herring Gulls, 2 BH Gulls, several LBB Gulls and a couple of Buzzards.

Lots of Grasshoppers and Bush Crickets though (including several stridulating Roesel's). Just goes to show that there's always something to see or listen to even when the birds are proving a bit difficult.

Last edited:
Went down this evening - very quiet bird-wise - even the Swallow roost was down - probably less than 150 individuals cf. 400 - 500 the other evening.

Dave 4 groups totalling 60+ moved south, late evening. Maybe migrating but could also be going to your roost. It would be interesting to know if its the same birds each night or there is a fresh influx. Could it be birds stay for a few days, to be replaced by others in a leapfrog type situation, moving to traditional sites as they slowly move south.
There used to be a roost at Upton in the 90's but that has long disappeared.
B :)John
ps does anyone know of any other swallow roosts in our region

Dave 4 groups totalling 60+ moved south, late evening. Maybe migrating but could also be going to your roost. It would be interesting to know if its the same birds each night or there is a fresh influx. Could it be birds stay for a few days, to be replaced by others in a leapfrog type situation, moving to traditional sites as they slowly move south.
There used to be a roost at Upton in the 90's but that has long disappeared.
B :)John
ps does anyone know of any other swallow roosts in our region

Hi John,

Several small groups of 20 or so were continuing to drop in just before I left. Possibly the warm weather caused a change in behaviour as the gathering was much less concentrated and flocks were feeding higher prior to roosting. I suspect you are correct, that different individuals are involved each evening as there seem to be varying numbers of Sand Martins mixed amongst them. I didn't see any Sand Martins last night, for instance, but there were quite a few the other evening.

Oakley Pool is another place where I have witnessed large hirundine roosts in recent years - 2 or 3 years ago there were over 1000 roosting during April. Haven't checked it recently though as it is a bit of an effort to bird compared to my local patch.

Last edited:
A Common Sandpiper flew down the river calling from the weir pool below Salwarpe village this evening - another patch tick for me.

A Hobby circled over north of the reedbed earlier on. Otherwise quiet - a few Chiifchaffs, two Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Bullfinch, two Buzzards and a flock of Goldfinches. Just a few Swallows by the time I left.

A Tree Pipit just circled the reedbed calling then landed in a tree in the eastern side. This is only my third record for the site.

A Grass Snake swam across the canal this evening.

A round-up of this weekend's highlights as follows:

Male Redstart this morning (same place as last weekend), Tree Pipit and Crossbill yesterday. House Sparrows (12 west of Salwarpe + many more around Porter's Mill), 3 Grey Herons, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest (family party of 4 this evening plus others), Willow Warblers (8+), two Ravens, Whitethroats (2 plus family party of 5 near Porter's Mill), Sedge Warbler, Reed Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, 2+ Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Linnets, Goldfinches, Song Thrushes, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Jays, Mistle Thrush, House Martins and seven Swifts.

The Swallow roost has dwindled to less than 50 yesterday (10% of a couple of weeks ago). It was up a little this evening with a few Sand Martins mixed in.

Also seen: Migrant Hawker, Brown Hawkers, Southern Hawker, Common Darter, Banded Demoiselle, Peacock butterfly, a couple of Skippers, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers.

Two Hobbies north of the reedbed this evening, 1 male Sparrowhawk over plus 2 Buzzards, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Linnet and a few Chiffchaffs.

Several groups of Canada Geese (>180 in total) flew up the valley towards Westwood at dusk with a constant stream of gulls (mainly black-heads plus a few large ones) heading that way too.

Well over 100 Swallows gathered this evening and a couple of Noctules came out to hunt. 6+ Pipistrelles seen also.

Last edited:
Two Hobbies north of the reedbed this evening, 1 male Sparrowhawk over plus 2 Buzzards, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Linnet and a few Chiffchaffs.

Several groups of Canada Geese (>180 in total) flew up the valley towards Westwood and dusk with a constant stream of gulls (mainly black-heads plus a few large ones) heading that way too.

Well over 100 Swallows gathered this evening and a couple of Noctules came out to hunt. 6+ Pipistrelles seen also.

Dave
Hopefully you will be getting a Marsh harrier soon;)

Another Tree Pipit over - called twice.

Spotted Flycatcher along the canal and male Redstart in trees and bushes along the Salwarpe between Salwarpe village and Ladywood.

Little Owl calling. Swift over.

Two Little Owls showing well in oak tree near Ladywood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back