• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screech owls in nestboxes..anybody have experiences? (1 Viewer)

greenbill

I mounted a nest box designed for a screech owl this winter. It is located about 15' high on a larch tree. It faces a somewhat open lawn area. The lawn is bordered by conifer forest on one side and oak forest on another. It seems like a perfect habitat (there is even a man-made pond with waterfall), but I was wondering what to expect. What are the chances of the box being used this spring? What are other people's experiences with screech owl nestboxes?

Hello greenbill and welcome to Birdforum.net

Hopefully someone should be along soon who has some experience with these boxes. Good luck :t:

Regards

Greenbill:
I have a screech owl roosting in my screech owl box located 18 feet up a pine tree within 30 feet of a relatively busy county road. It faces out onto a moderately brushy garden and is surrounded on three sides by wooded lots at least 1/2 acre in size

Mark
Bastrop, TX

humminbird said:
Greenbill:
I have a screech owl roosting in my screech owl box located 18 feet up a pine tree within 30 feet of a relatively busy county road. It faces out onto a moderately brushy garden and is surrounded on three sides by wooded lots at least 1/2 acre in size

Mark
Bastrop, TX
Mark,
Are there any blind snakes in your part of Texas? As you may know, screech owls have been known to carry them into their nests and not eat them. Rather, they let the snakes live in the nest to eat insects that bother their young. If you get a chance to check the nest at some point, definitely let us know if you find a blind snake!!! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back