• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mini projectors (1 Viewer)

DJRWhittle

Good afternoon everyone,

I’ve been looking at the various mini projectors on the market. They’re sold for use as a home cinema. I am thinking about buying one for using to project PowerPoint when I’m talking to groups.

Has anybody on here got any experience/recommendations of this? I did buy one from Amazon that I thought might be suitable but when it arrived the manual said it was ‘not recommended for PowerPoint, Word etc. (pity it didn’t say that in the item description) so it went straight back as that is my intended use. I can’t justify the cost of a ‘proper’ projector as I am retired and do these talks for free.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Derek

Most mini projectors are designed for very short range, across a desk in business meetings. They don't have the brightness to do a village hall slideshow. Lots of meeting room systems are moving away from projectors onto touchscreen flatscreens, this has led to a lot of redundant projectors, they can be picked up second-hand. But it is important to get one with a known history as replacement bulbs can be £100s!

Good afternoon everyone,

I’ve been looking at the various mini projectors on the market. They’re sold for use as a home cinema. I am thinking about buying one for using to project PowerPoint when I’m talking to groups.

Has anybody on here got any experience/recommendations of this? I did buy one from Amazon that I thought might be suitable but when it arrived the manual said it was ‘not recommended for PowerPoint, Word etc. (pity it didn’t say that in the item description) so it went straight back as that is my intended use. I can’t justify the cost of a ‘proper’ projector as I am retired and do these talks for free.

Derek

Hi Derek,

Have you found one? Though this thread might be a couple of months passed, but I want still to help. Yes, I understand that most students really need a material that's handy/portable and accessible. I set up my home theater using a projector but it's intended for sport watching. So, I did some google reseach and I found one article for you. You can check here: https://www.outdoormoviehq.com/ezap...tor-800x480-800-lumen-private-cinema-support/. There are usb ports you can use. Let me know if this works for you. I hope it helps. :)

Thanks,
Jack

Good afternoon everyone,

Derek

Hi Derek,
Stuck upon your question rather accidentally, though as I've been in the same boat decided to add my two coins.
First of all, are you talking about minis aka pocket projectors? No way I would ever try use these to do a half-hour presentation in a brightly lit conference room with over 10 people.
I'd recommend you to have a look at some of the existing BenQ projectors, since BenQ makes good educational projectors at rather affordable prices (as you've mentioned that you're retired). If you'll find something like at second hand, it might cost you the same as a newer "pocket projector". But the picture would be much brighter.

Hi Derek,
Stuck upon your question rather accidentally, though as I've been in the same boat decided to add my two coins.
First of all, are you talking about minis aka pocket projectors? No way I would ever try use these to do a half-hour presentation in a brightly lit conference room with over 10 people.
I'd recommend you to have a look at some of the existing BenQ projectors, since BenQ makes good educational projectors at rather affordable prices (as you've mentioned that you're retired). If you'll find something like at second hand, it might cost you the same as a newer "pocket projector". But the picture would be much brighter.

Forgot to add. Another thing that most of "pocket projectors" don't have a lot of lumens (it's usually mentioned in description/on a box - for pico's it's about 8-10) so they work good only in dark rooms. In a normal room lighting they won't produce a good picture. Here's some info.

Also, spend more time researching the specifications and features of projectors before you order/buy second-handed. It will save you a lot of wasted time and effort.
Make a list of specs that would be useful for your presentations, as if you - for example - really need the projector to fit on a camera tripod there are only a small number of projectors available with that feature and such.
Once again, good luck.

I’ve just realised I never posted the update to this, sorry!

I eventually purchased a used, but well looked after, Casio projector for little more than I paid for the mini projector that was returned.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back