• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some from South Australia November (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I don't know if any of these are possible but giving it a try (not even sure if they're native plants of course).

First two from Hogwash Bend a nature reserve on the banks of the Murray River.

The last ones are from further south in the Adelaide Hills; the first of them is a wide angle view with my feet in it, followed by a more closely cropped section. They were growing on a sandy track through brushland. At first I thought they were 'lichen-type' growths, but now I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• BF White flowers for ID.jpg
    BF White flowers for ID.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0578 Blue flower for ID.jpg
    DSCN0578 Blue flower for ID.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1286 Lichen type for ID.jpg
    DSCN1286 Lichen type for ID.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1286 Lichen type closeup for ID.jpg
    DSCN1286 Lichen type closeup for ID.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1501 white flowers for ID.jpg
    DSCN1501 white flowers for ID.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 17
The flowers in #1 are invasive Lantana; the leaves might be something different?

The flowers seem to be coming from those leaves present which are nothing like Lantana. Though I accept the flowers have a superficial resemblance to Lantana I don't think they can be as there would be signs of the foliage, especially as it's a shrubby plant & the plant here is prostrate, so the Lantana plant would be obvious.

For #2, try Echium plantagineum, Patterson's Curse, but could be one of the other naturalised Echiums, eg viper's bugloss Echium vulgare.

Last edited:
Thanks so much fof - the 'fog fruit' does seem a good fit, doesn't it.

I've a feeling the Viper's Bugloss may be right too, I thought it looked a bit familiar. I'll check and see if it's a known plant out there.

The flowers seem to be coming from those leaves present which are nothing like Lantana. Though I accept the flowers have a superficial resemblance to Lantana I don't think they can be as there would be signs of the foliage, especially as it's a shrubby plant & the plant here is prostrate, so the Lantana plant would be obvious.

Try Phyla canescens (Fog-fruit) for #1
Agree with Phyla canescens now (which is closely related to Lantana):t:

#5 appears to be one of the Paper Daisies, growing through a Grevillia(?)
#3 & 4 - No idea. Just not enough detail to even begin. Sorry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back