• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Finch Nesting? (1 Viewer)

verysmallbird

Hello all, first post here. I'll get right to the point.
Around this time last year, I had a pair of house finches move in to a palm outside my bedroom window. They ended up raising 2 broods and having the opportunity to observe the family was wonderful! I've seen some finches coming and going to and from the tree, including some males in breeding plumage, but they don't seem too interested in sticking around. Could this be because the old nest is still in the tree? Would it be best to remove the old nest if I want to encourage a new family or is it best to leave everything as is? Thanks.

Leave well alone otherwise the birds may well desert the tree and go elsewhere due to your presence or disturbance. They might well do so anyway. I appreciate you mean well, not sure whether that species builds a new nest each year or repairs an old one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back