• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finch eye disease; how long should I leave feeders down? (1 Viewer)

Greetings,

I noticed a finch on one of my finch nyjer feeders that had one eye crusted closed in what looks exactly like finch eye disease conjunctivitis. I took down both of my feeders, tossed the remaining nyjer seed, and thoroughly sanitized them by soaking them in a weak bleach solution for an hour. I have left them down for about 4 days so far to allow the finch population to disperse a little. Can I put the feeders back up, or should I leave them down longer?

Is there anything else I can do at all to tamp down the spread of this disorder? I have only seen it in a couple birds, but now I know what to look for, I will be more alert and I will sanitize more regularly.

When I have the feeders up (not near one another), they attract tons of finches; often 5 or 6 on a feeders at a time with many many perched nearby waiting for their turn. They can empty a large tube style feeder in less than two days. I love having them around but if my busy feeders are helping spread the disease, then I would have to consider taking them down permanently.

For the record...in case it is useful to have this info...I live in southern California, USA.

Otherchuck

I leave mine to dry naturally after sanitizing and then refill and put out the next day....without any noticeable adverse effects. Also, following the instructions on the cleaning product. I would think 4 days is ample.

Additionally I also rotate the feeders around ( different hanging stations, hooks or trees ) so that the ground underneath has a chance to recover and regrow. It's also deemed good practice to take up any leftover seed and remove bird dropping - I'm too idle to do this

I leave mine to dry naturally after sanitizing and then refill and put out the next day....without any noticeable adverse effects. Also, following the instructions on the cleaning product. I would think 4 days is ample.

Pat, I think he means relevent to diseased birds rather than anything else?

I'd certainly stop feeding for a month or maybe more, if a diseased bird turns up, you're back to square one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back