• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pyrenees and central Spain (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

Dear everyone,
I am a huge raptor enthusiast, and was thinking about a visit to the Pyrenees this summer. I have no car with me, unfortunately.
I am interested in all raptors, but especially in lammergeier. Can anybody perhaps advise me a place perhaps within easy reach of a place of public transport, reliable for lammergeiers. Can Jaca be reached by public transport from Zaragoza, for example? I'm told if I walk from Jaca it will pass through areas very good for them.
I am also extremely interested in spanish imperial eagle- can they be observed at Chapineria information center near Madrid easily? Or anywhere nearby?
Thanks!
Gleb

Gleb, I tried two mornings for Spanish Imperial eagle from the roof of Chapineria Information Center plus taking the way-marked walk one morning with no luck but they are supposed to be possible.

I saw one flyover the road as I drove in to Valdemaqueda just to the north which is also supposed to be a good spot.

Dear everyone,
I am a huge raptor enthusiast, and was thinking about a visit to the Pyrenees this summer. I have no car with me, unfortunately.
I am interested in all raptors, but especially in lammergeier. Can anybody perhaps advise me a place perhaps within easy reach of a place of public transport, reliable for lammergeiers. Can Jaca be reached by public transport from Zaragoza, for example? I'm told if I walk from Jaca it will pass through areas very good for them.
I am also extremely interested in spanish imperial eagle- can they be observed at Chapineria information center near Madrid easily? Or anywhere nearby?
Thanks!
Gleb
The closest to Jaca that I've seen Lammergeier is the valley near Canfranc Estacion, about 12 miles north of Jaca. A more reliable spot is a few miles further on at Candanchu/Astun. The land in the immediate vicinity of Jaca isn't mountainous enough.

I once saw one over the road on the way north into the mountains from Huesca near the new tunnels, but that was a one-off and there isn't really anywhere to stop there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back