• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy. (1 Viewer)

Cheers Andy - indeed I am a birder with (or actually right now without) a camera rather than a photographer. I just don't want to shell out a lot of money on a camera which is too complex for me to use. Also I am wondering if the 600mm lens is enough for me if I compare to cheaper camera's with bigger zoom.

Diffraction limits the effective resolution of the ultra zoom/small sensor offerings, so that a cropped image of a lesser zoom on a larger sensor can be very comparable. Sadly there are no miracle fixes in optics, just trade offs.

For such a camera, this is definitely not what one would expect to get.

Sony is not alone here.
User manuals are a weak point in most electronics. Perhaps the old VCRs set the trend of manuals as an afterthought, which was why a generation grew up with them flashing 12:00 on their digital clocks. Today smart phones and cameras carry on the tradition, hiding their capabilities in unintelligible manuals available only in digital form. That is why most users just leave everything set to automatic, it is really difficult to learn how to use the gear properly.

Hi there apologies if this has already been covered. I am shooting video on the camera. However when I import these into my MacBook via 'photos' I cannot find the video and it does not import. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening. I can see the video on my camera.

Many thanks

Josh

On the RX10iii - and likely on the RX10iv - video clips are stored separately on the camera and need to be downloaded separately from the photos.

I do it by connecting the camera to my computer by cable and searching the files through the finder function on my mac. Please see the attached screen grab.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• pathway for downloading videos from sony RX10ii on mac.tiff.jpg.pdf
    175.2 KB · Views: 14
On the RX10iii - and likely on the RX10iv - video clips are stored separately on the camera and need to be downloaded separately from the photos.

I do it by connecting the camera to my computer by cable and searching the files through the finder function on my mac. Please see the attached screen grab.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for this info, I also could not find my (one) video try. But then, I figured it might have been that my computer can't handle the higher settings (4K in particular). I'm still very much in the learning phase. Actually, the camera has way too many features that I don't need. So I have to select those that are of importance to me. So far, I have only barely tackled the video side.

Cheers
Mike

Hey man - thanks alot - I will give that a go

reading this thread has been fascinating and v informative. I'm looking to upgrade from my SX50 and am thinking to choose the sony over the P1000.
Has anyone had much experience with the clear image zoom and can share any thoughts? I ask as sometimes I find the need to take a record shot for ID purposes when on trips, and so wondered if this helped with that, going beyond the optical zoom limit, which is of the order 50% of the SX50?
Most of my photos are within the optical zoom range of the sony, but this is an ability I would like to have if possible.
Of course the other thought is that surely Sony will deliver the next generation of this camera at some point soon and so one is tempted to wait for that, but who knows if and when that may be...
thanks very much

I upgraded from the SX50 to the RX10iii and have found the clear image zoom perfectly adequate for record/ID purposes. There is a reduction in image quality, but if the purpose is ID rather than display then this should not be an issue.

It's also worth remembering that with the bigger sensor of the Sony over the p900/1000 there is more scope for cropping a smaller image.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

thanks for this, that's most helpful.
anyone got any thoughts/info on if/when sony will release mark V and what they could do, as size is clearly a restricting factor?
thanks again
Adam

Hi Mike

thanks for this, that's most helpful.
anyone got any thoughts/info on if/when sony will release mark V and what they could do, as size is clearly a restricting factor?
thanks again
Adam

A fully movable LCD display as e.g. on the Panasonic FZ200 would certainly be no luxury.

Apart from what Swissboy says I'd like lockable dials on the top and I would have thought they could keep the minimum focus consistent throughout the zoom range rather than the odd thing when its gets better again when you get to 600mm. But these are niggles and I do wonder if there is much they could improve without a sudden improvement in technology. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new model.

A fully movable LCD display as e.g. on the Panasonic FZ200 would certainly be no luxury.

Another thing that keeps irritating me is the less than optimal access to the SD-card. I keep fumbling just to open the flap, and then, one has to pull with the finger nail to get it out past the flap that in a way obstructs quick access.

Two card slots so one can be a back up. But all this is insignificant compared to a reduction in noise at higher ISO which is basically the Holy Grail of all cameras now we have huge numbers of megapixels and I don't know if the technology is there yet for this size sensor.

thanks for all the responses.
Steve i wanted to add that your journey in particular on this forum made fascinating and very informative reading, thanks for sharing that.
I emailed Sony to see if they'd say anything about a date for a new model, but as expected they wouldn't say a word:
With reference to your enquiry regarding the Sony DSC-RX series, we regret to inform you that we cannot confirm any information regarding this. We recommend that you pin our page below and check it periodically for updates:
https://www.sony.co.uk/
Oh well, wait and see

I'm not surprised by Sony's response. I certainly don't regret moving to the Sony 'journey'. I had just had enough of lugging a SLR around and didn't find my Canon SX50 up to the job. I expect to stick to it but haven't totally ruled out going down the 4/3 camera system in future. Good luck with whatever you decide. There is no right decision. A new camera could be out in a few months or never come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back