• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Adapter Mount Tripod Bracket - THREAD SIZE(s) (1 Viewer)

Hornchurch

'

Can someone (hopefully), steer me in the right direction please ?

I'd like to buy an Adapter Mount Tripod Bracket for Binoculars.

Trouble is, the various ones I see on 'a well-known auction site', seem to vary in thread-sizes.

The binoculars I've bought (two pairs, both brand-new) are obv's 2019-2020 vintage.

So, in the same way USB-sticks are a universal-fit, does that apply to MODERN binoculars ?

Is there a 'standard industry' modern-day universal-size & "if" so, what thread size, please ?

(I say the above, with the assumption that older bino's MIGHT use differing-sizes)

Any sensible advice appreciated, as I'm pretty much out of my depth here...

Cheers, 'H.C'

Try Opticron.
They have various types.

Tripod heads have two sizes 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch.

The binocular front axles all have, I think, the same size front threads.

There are also adapters that fit around the axles, and others that fit around the whole binocular.

Pentax have adapters threading straight into the bottom of binoculars and a neat support threading into the bottom of some binoculars.

Swift binoculars had threads on the bottom of one side.

B.

Last edited:
Tripod heads have two sizes 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch.

The binocular front axles all have, I think, the same size front threads.

There are also adapters that fit around the axles, and others that fit around the whole binocular.

Pentax have adapters threading straight into the bottom of binoculars and a neat support threading into the bottom of some binoculars.

Swift binoculars had threads on the bottom of one side.

B.
'

Many thanks for your initial reply, Binastr'

I have both a Manfrotto tripod, plus a (far) more expensive & plush "Slik.50 Easi-Glide" tripod.

Both comfortably mount my various Sony Alpha & Nikon D.3300 & Nikon D.5300 cameras

Not sure WHAT that (underside camera) screw-thread is (?), but, is clearly "an industry standard size" **

** (I say that, as ALL my Digitial-DSLR's fit it, the tripod head-plates, comfortably, no-fuss)

The tripod adapter mount thread(s) on MY (new), binoculars, is at the front, on the pivot-assembly.

(from what limited I can gather, it's THE 'standard' location, on many modern-day binoculars)

I actually DID try to contact the manufacturers direct - (they have a 'live chat' facility)

Alas, trying to contact them, via THAT medium, seems to be a waste of space.

It's like the Titanic sending a message to the 'Californian' 10-miles away, no-response !
(instead of the 'Carpathia', at only 50 miles away, instead o:D)

That, plus I don't fancy being 'shoehorned' into buying a (far more) expensive "manufacturers own brand".

Why, just for the sake of it ?

Bit like buying a Nissan (like my Dad) & being told 'you can ONLY use Nissan-oil' (Yeah, Right :-C )

Most manufacturers use a standard 1/4 thread but a few use something unique to their product. If you tell us the specific models you’ve purchased then someone here will be able to answer with certainty.

Best,
Jerry

The smaller cameras have a 1/4 inch 20 threads per inch tripod socket.

Larger professional cameras often have 3/8inch 16 thread per inch tripod sockets.

Some large lenses also have 3/8 inch sockets, others 1/4 inch.

B.

I have only ever seen 1/4 inch thread on cameras.
Most manufacturers use a standard 1/4 thread but a few use something unique to their product.

If you tell us the specific models you’ve purchased then someone here will be able to answer with certainty.

Best,
Jerry
'

Cheers Jerry, in fact....
Thanks to the three of you lads for establishing, that the camera threads ARE 1/4 inch.

However, it's not the camera threads that are my prime concern, but, Binoculars & THEIR "Front Thread"

The two types I've just purchased are "PRAKTICA" BINOCULARS brand & are 10x50 & 8x40

Using the search facility has never conjured-up anything on "PRAKTICA" BINOCULARS - (yet).

Not exactly holding out much hope that anyone even has a set, here, (that participates on this forum)

By that, I mean being able to relate & share the exact info' I need.

From what (limited), I've seen so far, most here are into pretty high-end optical stuff, beyond my realm.

Anyways, by chance, "if" anyone DOES know what kinda thread-size is the type I require, please do holler
:t:

Meantime, many thanks to those who've taken the trouble to reply....

Binocular tripod adapters are 1/4", diameter, 20 threads per inch. Just like Binastro said. If you are still unsure head to a hardware store, buy a single 1/4" bolt and see. As far as I know it is standard, nobody I'm aware of has a proprietary size.

I bought a job lot of new Practica manufacturer's sample binoculars.
About 15 of various specifications.
The ones that had tripod adapters probably had the standard tripod socket.

I gave the green coloured 12x50 to a friend, so don't have that any more. It was reaonably good.
I also gave some of the others away.

They mostly looked like Made in China lowish price binoculars, but being samples they may have been better than average.

Some tripod adapters are made too thin, so I would go for either Practica or Opticron or something suitable, not a cheap internet bargain.

B.

P.S.
Hornchurch,

I see the City of London crest.

I doubt that the 8x40 needs a tripod and personally I don't put 10x50s on tripods either, but some do.

Last edited:
'

Cheers Jerry, in fact....
Thanks to the three of you lads for establishing, that the camera threads ARE 1/4 inch.

However, it's not the camera threads that are my prime concern, but, Binoculars & THEIR "Front Thread"

The two types I've just purchased are "PRAKTICA" BINOCULARS brand & are 10x50 & 8x40

Using the search facility has never conjured-up anything on "PRAKTICA" BINOCULARS - (yet).

Not exactly holding out much hope that anyone even has a set, here, (that participates on this forum)

By that, I mean being able to relate & share the exact info' I need.

From what (limited), I've seen so far, most here are into pretty high-end optical stuff, beyond my realm.

Anyways, by chance, "if" anyone DOES know what kinda thread-size is the type I require, please do holler
:t:

Meantime, many thanks to those who've taken the trouble to reply....

Praktica Binoculars for the most part use standard tripod adapters that are sold nearly everywhere. EBay is awash but here’s Amazon if unbranded Chinese products make you hesitate.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93...33&sprefix=Tripod+adapter+for+,aps,226&sr=8-4

Best,
Jerry

Binocular tripod adapters are 1/4", diameter, 20 threads per inch. Just like Binastro said. If you are still unsure head to a hardware store, buy a single 1/4" bolt and see. As far as I know it is standard, nobody I'm aware of has a proprietary size.
This should give you the information you need, under features:

https://www.praktica.com/products/universal-tripod-adapter-for-binoculars

Simon ; Mate, your post was a God-send, as it confirmed EXACTLY what I needed.

Shows that clearly, in my own haste, I overlooked THAT page.

To be fair, I wuz never likely gonna go with a 'Praktica own' mount anyhow.

Jerry, Steve.C & Binastr' ; Once again thanks for your help lads !

Binastr' ; I'll get back to your last post separately ; You're "razor-sharp" on the London crest :t:

Jerry ; It's ironic that you've posted so recently, because.....

About one hour AFTER I'd got back for the pub, I pulled the trigger (E-bay), on a Metal mount.

I did take a look at the reinforced plastic ones, but turned my nose up !

Trawling down, I came across what looked like a more suitable layout....

It's an angled (curved), metal mount, nice curvature & states it has a 1/4 inch mount.

As Binastr' has rightly pointed-out - The hand-held 8x40's DO NOT need the tripod-mount.

I'm AMAZED at how good (sharp), both sets are, plus, the 8x40's seem like Dinky-toys, by comparison.

Later times, I DO plan on getting a larger focal length, that most prob' WILL need stabilising.

As I have a walkway/balcony outside my bedroom (which overlooks fields), the tripod WILL be a blessing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back