• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hemsted Forest, Parrot Crossbills? (1 Viewer)

James Anderson

Hi All

I'm hoping to drop in at Hemsted Forest tomorrow.

Not knowing this area at all I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some pointers as to the best area's to check for either Parrot Crossbill or Two-barreds.
Anything from where to park to which paths to take, to best areas to check.

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.
The map will be a great help. :t:

That should put me in the right place, just need the birds to show.

Thanks Again
James

Did you see them James? I'm thinking of going next week............if the promised storm does not blow them all away.

Hi Joannec

I managed to see both Two-barred and Parrot Crossbill along with good size flocks of Common today.
I was surprised to see so many birders present today, but it certainly helped in locating the Crossbills.

The Two-barred showed extremely well from the clearing.
The Parrot Crossbill was seen after walking a little further up the track and taking the left hand fork and viewing the single line of trees from a felled area of trees shortly after taking the left hand fork.
It's the area directly behind where we were viewing from the clearing.

If you go, I hope you get views as good as I had today.
It was well worth the visit.

James

I noticed the Two barred has been coming up from this site. But does anyone know if the Parrot is still around?

Many thanks in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back