• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crete in early spring (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I'm pondering a family holiday in Crete next year. It'd be a mixture of walking and general wildlife watching. If anyone has any tips, especially for good orchid areas, I'd be grateful.

Regards

Steve

A copy of a report of our trip to Plakias.
There are some impressive walks along the coast west of Souda and the gorge just north.The area east of Damnoni Bay was very scenic and great for hiking too.

Spent a 'non birding' week in Plakias Southern Crete, from 6/8/13- 13/8/13
Actually did more birdwatching than I intended and saw some good species.
Stayed at the Irida Studios which were clean,quiet and handily located for the town.
Plakias can be ferociously windy in Summer.When the wind drops it can be fearsomely hot.Not a good recipe for resident birds,I thought.
There were however three good birdwatching areas all within easy walking distance.

Damnoni Bay

The western headland was a great little birding spot.
There were resident Blue Rock Thrush seen and heard every time I went.
There was also a healthy population of Crag Martin in the cliffs above.
Four Red Billed Chough appeared one morning.
A male Stonechat was seen regulary.
Sometimes a Raven was flying around.
One morning a Black Eared Wheatear put in an cameo appearance near the cliff edge,
The usual flocks of Sparrows were around with a few Blue Tits
A Grey Heron was on the rocks one day and there was generally a Yellow Legged Gull loafing around.
A Common Kingfisher was fishing from the rocks on one ocassion.
On walking around the bay I saw another 2 Common Kingfisher.
We took a walk up the eastern headland and were rewarded with a Long Legged Buzzard,a Common Buzzard,1 Kestrel,4 Alpine Swift.8 Hooded Crow and some Barn Swallow.

Plakias and the Gorge.

Most evenings I wandered up to the old mill in the foothills of the gorge.The walk starts from the centre of the town
Like clockwork the Griffon Vultures always appeared around 6 p.m.Not sure how many were up there but the most I ever saw together was three.
Other birds seen here - 3 Raven,2 Common Buzzard,4 Red Billed Chough,1 Crag Martin,2 Goldfinch,Several Barn Swallow,the usual Collared Dove, Sparrows and Blue Tits.On the way back there was a Kingfisher on the riverbank
On Plakias Beach there were 2 Little Ringed Plovers on consecutive evenings.
A Common Kestrel was generally about with a few Hooded Crow in the vicinity
On the rocks there were 2 Shag one morning and one Yellow Legged Gull.

Souda Bay

Sitting on a bench overlooking Souda Bay we looked westward to the mountains.
There were more Griffon Vulture here than Gorge.
There was also an impressive number of Alpine Swift,maybe a speciality around these parts.
Common Buzzards, Ravens and Barn Swallows were also about.
I looked down and saw a female Yellow Wagtail below.
The only warblers I saw all week was Sardinian Warbler in some bushes along the road to Souda Bay.
We walked behind Souda bay towards the western headland.Just behind the tavernas there were 6 White Wagtail with the usual Sparrows and Blue Tits.There was nothing on the headland apart from a male Stonechat and a Raven.

Here's one or two links I find useful:
Crete Nature Blog There's some useful links on the site too.
Crete Birding
Crete Birding
Cretan Beaches is a useful site that covers walks and nature too.

We've been hiking there a number of times - usually in the lesser known gorges, where you might get Chukka, Bearded Vulture (if you're very, very lucky), Golden Eagles, lots of Griffon Vultures, Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, etc. We use - Walking in Western Crete and Western Crete: Car Tours and Walks mostly, both very useful. For walking in the east try: Eastern Crete Car Tours and Walks.

Last edited:
Further to my post above: we stayed for a fortnight in late April - early May 1990.
In the resort at the same time was a group of about 20 botanists.
On our first morning, we walked out to Damnoni Bay, passing the botanists, who were also just setting out.
When we came back, about five hours later, they had got about 400 yards up the road and were still bent over their plants. (But I don't know whether there were orchids among them.)

Last edited:
Windy Plakias?It certainly was!
As you say it might be less so in Spring.I would love to back there then-there were some great habitats around.It is also ideal for hiking and walking.

Late spring or mid-late September are good for hiking. It can be a bit wet in Spring and the sea is still cold though.

Thanks for the information. Tbh birds a relatively low priority, compared to the other wildlife. I'll do some migrant watching but the residents are all species I've seen plenty of.

Last edited:
Samaria Gorge

I know every one goes there but there were lots of Orphys type orchids around the ruined village as well as Fritillaria messanensis and paeonia higher up.
Above the gorge is an alpine refuge Called Kallergi which we stayed at for a couple of days. We walked along the ridge to Melindaou in early spring . It was still snowy but loads of crocus and anchusa caespitosa around the refuge. We also had lammergeier up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back