• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (10 Viewers)

belated news

Yesterday afternoon a juvenile tern sp, flew around the Moors pool. Has anyone else heard of a tern in the region yesterday. The light was poor and the observer logged it as a 'commic'.

Trawled through the neighbouring counties bird sites and not one mentioned a tern of any sort.

Last edited:
Pale Buzzard theme

Attached is a record shot (distant with Iphone) of the palest Buzzard that i have seen taken this Spring over at the West Hagley Fields. OK it's distant and with a couple of crows for contrast but if serves to show how pale this bird is. About 2 Autumns previous i clocked 3 pale birds walking in the furrows at the same site, following the plough. I presume this was one of these birds.

Laurie:t:

Found this one in Wales earlier this month

Attachments

• IMG_6728.JPG
    IMG_6728.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 143
2 Ruff and a Yellow Wag at the Flashes. Not a lot else. 70+ Swallow over, 15+ House Martin, steady stream of Mipits, 5 Skylark. I didn't see them, but Terry H had 2 Pintail at Moors

this from dave j by text for today.

2 Ruff and a Yellow Wag at the Flashes. Not a lot else. 70+ Swallow over, 15+ House Martin, steady stream of Mipits, 5 Skylark. I didn't see them, but Terry H had 2 Pintail at Moors

this from dave j by text for today.

Think that is Ruff recorded every day in September :t:

1 common sand, 2 ruff, 3 green sand over, 1 hobby, loads of meadow pipits ,goldfinch 8,1 buzzard,c20 starlings ,44 lapwings, shed load of shoveler and teal all on the flashes

Update fromthe Moors.
Wigeon 5. Pintail 2. Shoveler 3. Teal 15. Ruff 2 dunlin. Common sand. Snipe 15.
Swallow and house martin 20. Blackcap. Chiffs 5. Cettis 2 singing.

An small influx of pochard, with 6 males and 2 females on the Moors. Several water rails called around the pool this afternoon.
All the waterbirds including all the geese, went into panic en masse , when the cattle waded through the water in the scrape and then onto the islands.

Last edited:
Tuesday work party SW MARSH

The final phase of the rejuvenation scheme was completed today. We had 2 strimmers on the go and the cuttings were piled up in the water to create temporary islands. We cut the southern section, which made the final length 200 yards. Much of this is very muddy and ideal for dabblers and waders. Within a short period , a couple of snipe , a few teal, coot moorhen and a pintail all fed on or just off the shore. Water rails were heard close by and would almost certainly ventured out when it got dark.
pics
1. before work
2. after from the new hide. the newly cut area is at the top of the shore.
3. close up of todays cut area.
4. the full extent of the cut area from the north end looking south
5. the muddy shore line.

Afterwards we cut back the willows obscurring the views from the new hide.
Many thanks to all 8 of us today.B :)

Attachments

• 1. B4 wrk DSCF8734 (2).JPG
    1. B4 wrk DSCF8734 (2).JPG
    377 KB · Views: 102
  • 2afta wrk DSCF8803 (2).jpg
    2afta wrk DSCF8803 (2).jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 3todays cut area DSCF8760 (2).jpg
    3todays cut area DSCF8760 (2).jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.full extent of cutting ova 3weeksDSCF8766 (2).JPG
    4.full extent of cutting ova 3weeksDSCF8766 (2).JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 5. muddy shore of sw marshDSCF8762 (2).JPG
    5. muddy shore of sw marshDSCF8762 (2).JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 93
A good candidate for adult yellow legged gull, at the Moors today. several herrings were present and they were at least 2 or 3 shades lighter than this bird. I think it was too dark for Argentatus herring.

Attachments

• poss YL gullDSCF8827 (2).JPG
    poss YL gullDSCF8827 (2).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 128
Look out for Yellow Browed Warbler.One in Gloucs today. It's been the most common species of warbler on Shetland in the ten days I spent there. Had Hudsonian Whimbrel on Yell today (my last day) after me, Phil and co and Garys gang dipped it yesterday. Phil and co were on Whalsay so didn't get it. Hope it sticks around for them. Off to the Borders tomorrow for the Sardinian Warbler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back