• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eggs thief admits stealing again (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

I've not bothered to open the link so I don't know who he is but seems like some of those posting above will do...so I suggest a small bit of vigilantism is what we need here...just the one broken knee cap is all that's required...saves on court fees...if he works its his NIS contributions that'll sort the doctors fees out...job done...ever since they banned the birch its been downhill to hell in a handcart...

ASBO rules for ASBO people?:eek!:

From the bar...
McMadd

Way to go, McMadd for P.M.

There 's not a lot they can do with their collections other than show other eggers, money isnt what drives these people its having clutches of rare eggs to drool over that drives them on.

Correct. In the same way that twitchers drool over another tick in their books, or birders drool over the memory of a flock of Pink-feet flying over at dusk. You could equally say what do twitchers or birders get out of their hobby?

For me egg collectors are just the unacceptable face of ornithology, a branch that should have died out with the Victorians. They take it to a level too far. Yet little over 100 years ago, almost EVERY ornithologist collected specimens, either eggs or the birds themselves. It was considered quite normal, and the behaviour added a lot to our understanding of birds, and many of our museums and birding societies were founded by these people.

We may find it diffficult to understand, but these people probably believe that they love birds as much as we do. If they didn't, why would they want the eggs?

Most of these people are probably excellent fieldsmen and know more about whats where, than the authorities....

Yes, I'm sure most egg thieves know more about rare bird sites than you or I. I'm also sure that they know more about many aspects of bird ecology than the average birder including myself.

They even target watched nest sites just for the added buzz of nicking eggs from under peoples noses, sad!

That's why it's so difficult to stop. The more you protect a nest, the more they want it. By setting up a 24 hour watch, you are creating a challenge.

Last edited:
....Back to the topic, not one of the people thought stealing eggs was worth a fine let alone a custodial sentence. Not with all the crime in the world today. I guess we see it differently.

Who could blame them for thinking that? The loss of a few birds eggs to a small number of egg thieves doesn't effect 99.9% of people. With all of the horrific crime that happens these days, and all of the pathetic sentances that are handed out, even I would argue that the crime of stealing birds eggs is well down on my list of urgent crimes that I want tackling. It would be nice if I could walk down my street at night without feeling threatened for a start....

Way to go, McMadd for P.M.

Aye thhhaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkk YOU!

By the way, I see there were complaints about the level of debate on this thread earlier...I would suggest the educators ought to take a bow at this point then...eh?

ATVB
McMadd

[sigh]...better add one o' they stupid smiley devices at this point...:-O

Who could blame them for thinking that? The loss of a few birds eggs to a small number of egg thieves doesn't effect 99.9% of people. With all of the horrific crime that happens these days, and all of the pathetic sentances that are handed out, even I would argue that the crime of stealing birds eggs is well down on my list of urgent crimes that I want tackling. It would be nice if I could walk down my street at night without feeling threatened for a start....

That's how I see it, certainly my work colleagues see it that way. I guess it depends on your point of view (as always).

im just amazed that this kind of archaic activity (egging) still exists, but i can kind of see it on par with something like a fascination for steam engines, except that wouldnt have any negative repercussions. forgive me for saying this but egging seems to be a very "english" thing to do. "english" in the sense of stereotyped quirky middle-class eccentrics.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back