• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on buying 8x30 E II from Japan seller on amazon? (1 Viewer)

I think you meant to say the Swaro Habicht. I just had these 10x out for a look see on a perfect sunny spring late afternoon. If anything this sample is the best of all of them. I have never had more stunning, sharper or more beautiful views on anything I've ever looked through. I can not believe these cost a mere $500. Had the price been $2000 I would have thought them a great buy. Especially after looking through the Zeiss Victorys. I can't wait to compare these to those Zeiss in the 10x tomorrow. I'm so wowed by these that I'm going way out on a limb and say I'll like these better due to the 3D effect. I'm just totally blown away by this binocular. I cannot believe what I'm seeing in these. Stunned is the right word.

I think you meant to say the Swaro Habicht. I just had these 10x out for a look see on a perfect sunny spring late afternoon. If anything this sample is the best of all of them. I have never had more stunning, sharper or more beautiful views on anything I've ever looked through. I can not believe these cost a mere $500. Had the price been $2000 I would have thought them a great buy. Especially after looking through the Zeiss Victorys. I can't wait to compare these to those Zeiss in the 10x tomorrow. I'm so wowed by these that I'm going way out on a limb and say I'll like these better due to the 3D effect. I'm just totally blown away by this binocular. I cannot believe what I'm seeing in these. Stunned is the right word.

IMHO...forget the Habichts & Enjoy these EIIs. After all of the optic goals you've stated, believe you have found everything you want in the 8X30 and 10X35...Good For You John! B :)

Ted

I don't think I'd find a better overall optic in the Habicht. However I do like their small size and weight for hiking and their waterproofness for winter hiking. And they look like a little work of art. So I think I might end up with a pair but not because I think they will be a better binocular than the EII. I don't think that likely anymore. I'll sell my newly acquired Kowa Genesis 8x and Meopro 10x and trade them for most of the cost of the Habicht.

Well, no, I meant to include the SE's. After all, they are a premium Porro, and my 8x30 SE seems to outperform my EII, for sharpness alone. That is what I saw when I compared the two a while ago. My SE's are stowed away, and I'm using my EII's, I don't really know why. But I also like the EII's very much-not hard to like, for sure! And the EII's are lighter, and more compact besides as well.

Not sure if I would prefer any Habicht to the SE's, and I doubt it. But I've never seen a Habicht Porro, so who knows which way I'd go, though the SE's are special too, just like the EII's. I didn't say it to confuse the issue, or you, but I wanted you to know there is another player out there, though only as a used item, and not replaceable by Nikon if you need service. But there are other repair shops that can handle Porro repairs too. Something different and unique as well as the Habichts, is all.

Waterproof the SE's are not though. Splashproof is all! ; )

If one handles either the EII or the SE series porros with respect, they will go forever without any maintenance. Holger Merlitz has had I believe, the original gray EII 8X30s for years, and still going strong. I know that the focus wheel on many of these EIIs and SEs perform like new over 10 years later.

Andy W.

I've always taken care of my possessions. It's part of my character to be efficient and careful about that. Having lived in backcountry for long periods and far from any help, all of my equipment functioning could mean life or death literally or at the least make things much less pleasant. And I bought all my equipment with that in mind. Was it durable and dependable within my budget? Was it the best bang for my buck? I had very little money back then.

While I'm no longer in such situations the habits of a lifetime are just part of what I am and it's always in the back of my mind somewhere when I'm buying. Even things of lesser quality have a good shot at lasting in my hands because whenever practical I baby them. Most people don't live this way anymore but it used to be a fairly common practice when I was growing up.

Last edited:
Those are attributes characteristic of the wise, and yes, not common these days. Your EIIs, with care, will perform flawlessly as log as you own them. I am stargazing with them tonight, using the 8X30 under these conditions (a bit cool at 38 F but not bad, no wind, crystal clear skies with a bit of moonlight and no background light pollution).

Andy W.

Ugh! That would be like a punch in the gut. I'm with you guys. If anything were to go wrong with my EII's, I'd send them to Cory Suddarth instead of Nikon.

I feel the same way . I knew when I ordered both E2's from Japan that if anything went wrong with either of them I would be sending them to Cory.

On my limited outings with the EII so far, i think i'm with you on all that you said. I can't compare them to a Habicht as i've never looked through one, but at the price, these are certainly very special. The first day, which was almost universal cloud but fairly bright, i could induce CA in bare twigs in tree tops, but only at the periphery. The next day (shorter trip) with less cloud, it was hardly noticeable and certainly not at the sweet spot.
My overall impression, having been deprived of porro views for some time, is of a naturalness - like you've just amplified your eyes, retaining that depth and 3D experience. I'm going to do my comparison to the M7 8x30 at some time, which i suppose is the modern, roof successor in portability, size etc.
Basically love it, but will only go out with it in the right conditions.

Paddy7...

Nice Report on the Nikon EII.

Crusty

Just had the opportunity to part exchange an 8x30E for an E2. Expected a slight difference, but the sharpness, brightness and cooler colouration were a shock. Oh and the field of view is a bit wider too. I’d been very happy with the E, but more than happy with the E2, small, light and very good view.

PEterW

Cool Water?

Those are attributes characteristic of the wise, and yes, not common these days. Your EIIs, with care, will perform flawlessly as log as you own them. I am stargazing with them tonight, using the 8X30 under these conditions (a bit cool at 38 F but not bad, no wind, crystal clear skies with a bit of moonlight and no background light pollution).

Andy W.

Heh, fading memories, for sure, Andy! Now that it's almost a hundred during the day here on the East Coast, and not much under 70 at night, with humidity to match! I wish we were back in full Winter now! Our one A/C in the bedroom isn't doing well enough to keep it on right now, and the living room A/C is our only lifeline to cooler air. Outside it is more tolerable with a breeze, but inside it isn't great. Hopefully we can get a new A/C for the South facing bedrooms that can actually handle that load as it should instead of freezing up all the time and going on strike!

I saw a House Finch today in the alley that was so bright in the reds, that it made me really take notice! Nice to see even common birds in the hot doldrums that are so bright in color. Or any birds for that matter-glad I'm not one myself today and looking for water! A bit tougher life than ours, no doubt.

Barry,

Yes it has been hot, going to be in it all day, I am lucky I can take a break in AC during the worst of it. I have water out for the birds, but they are hanging low, couple of red-poles and white throat sparrows and of course the crows, keeping an eye-out for the red tailed hawks.
Sorry about the A/C situation, (at least you have A/C in the main area) perhaps a fan can be used to get through the worst. I was out last night under the sky, cut it early, humidity was going up and will be present today testing the grid. Stay cool!

Andy W.

Well, it seems my A/C just needed some time off to recover-it's running OK now-probably just overworked and underpaid! ; )

You stay cool too! At least I don't have to be anywhere out in it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back