Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Spring 2008 Mega spring for birds

Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 18:29   #1
rokermartin
Forum Member

Spring 2008 Mega spring for birds

Spring 2008 must have been one of the best springs on record for scarce and rare birds.There have been some mega birds found CITRIL FINCH,TRUMPTER FINCHES.BLACK LARK,SPECTACLED WARBLER,EASTERN OLIVACEOUS WARBLER,CALANDRA LARK,DARK EYED JUNCO,WC SPARROW,WT SPARROW,COLLARED FLYCATCHERs ,LITTLE CRAKE,CASPIAN PLOVER,STILT SANDPIPER,KILLDEER,UPLAND SANDPIPER,TEREK SANDPIPER to name but a few, and notable fall of migrants on the east coast last month and the beginning of June with a good influx of Marsh,Icterine Warblers Common Rosefinches,RB Shrikes,Golden Orioles and a few Bluethroats,RT Pipits,Rustic Buntings also one of the best influxes of RF Falcons we have had for sometime.It has also been a excellent spring for Great Reed Warblers,Whiskered Terns,BW Stilts,Citrine Wagtails,Bee eaters ,RR Swallows so i think we have had a mega spring this year could even be better than 1992 which was amazing for birds.

Last edited by rokermartin : Sunday 22nd June 2008 at 10:45.
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 20:53   #2
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

I have not seen any rarities,but I have seen and taken shots of birds I have either not seen previously ,or have not seen for approx 3yrs.
Namely,Treecreeper,Yellowhammer,Woodpecker,Willow Tit,Sedge Warbler,Reed Bunting,Barnacle Goose.
These may be common birds to most people,but I have been very happy to see these species at close quarters and manage a photo.
Perhaps it was because the weather in May this year was exceptionally good.Last year ,it was as it is today,a total washout.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 21:35   #3
chris murphy
Used Register

I sense (and fear) an 'Is Spring the new Autumn?' or an 'Autumn is crap for rares, Spring is the new hot time for finding megas' type discussion. FWIW, I think that Autumn is finished as a rarity finding period.....
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 21:43   #4
Mike Feely

Especially in the Scillies!!!
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 21:55   #5
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris murphy View Post
I sense (and fear) an 'Is Spring the new Autumn?' or an 'Autumn is crap for rares, Spring is the new hot time for finding megas' type discussion. FWIW, I think that Autumn is finished as a rarity finding period.....
Think spring has always been good for megas and rarities but not as good as autumn.
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 22:04   #6
dantheman
Bah humbug

I was wondering the same. Lots of goodies (almost none of which I've seen btw).

Another for the list - mini influx of Thrush Nightingales. Can't remember hearing of that before . .
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 22:12   #7
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
I was wondering the same. Lots of goodies (almost none of which I've seen btw).

Another for the list - mini influx of Thrush Nightingales. Can't remember hearing of that before . .
Hi yes i forgot about Thrush Nightingales it has been a excellent spring for those.Well spread out records most of the Thrush Nightingales turn up on Shetland usually.Been a good spring for River Warblers with 2 birds seen.

Last edited by rokermartin : Saturday 21st June 2008 at 22:15.
Old Monday 23rd June 2008, 07:16   #8
Farnboro John

Try listing all the birds you haven't seen, then use the monthly totals in Rare Birds Day by Day to come up with your personal "Monthly twitch risks" you will probably find May/June and September/October are joint most risky and looking back at your own previous years' dated ticks will show each year is different. You will have one year with ticks mostly in spring, one with most in autumn and so on. As your list grows you may find you realise that the focus is switching from autumn to spring. One reason for this is that autumn rarities in general stay longer (so are easier to nail).

Any year lister will tell you sometimes the spring is great but the autumn collapses and ruins a possible world-beating list, or the spring is a damp squib followed by an autumn that leaves moans of "if only May had delivered as well..." Only very occasionally will both seasons hit the spot.

John
Old Monday 23rd June 2008, 11:08   #9
rokermartin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Try listing all the birds you haven't seen, then use the monthly totals in Rare Birds Day by Day to come up with your personal "Monthly twitch risks" you will probably find May/June and September/October are joint most risky and looking back at your own previous years' dated ticks will show each year is different. You will have one year with ticks mostly in spring, one with most in autumn and so on. As your list grows you may find you realise that the focus is switching from autumn to spring. One reason for this is that autumn rarities in general stay longer (so are easier to nail).

Any year lister will tell you sometimes the spring is great but the autumn collapses and ruins a possible world-beating list, or the spring is a damp squib followed by an autumn that leaves moans of "if only May had delivered as well..." Only very occasionally will both seasons hit the spot.

John
Yes you are right in saying that both seasons only occasionally hit the spot.I can remember spring 1992 was a mega spring for rarities and scarce birds with a record influx of RF Falcons, large influxes of WW B Terns,RT Pipits,Greenish Warblers etc and the autumn of that year was very poor.Be interesting to see what autumn 2008 is going to be like for birds whether it will follow suit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: