• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Griffon Vulture, Despeñaperros, October (1 Viewer)

Sunbird24

Saw this very dark Griffon Vulture over Despeñaperros last October which looks almost like a Ruppell's Vulture. Just like some confirmation from the experts here. I'm wondering how far north the Ruppell's have been seen.

Attachments

• Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0217.jpg
    Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0217.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0225.jpg
    Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0225.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 59
  • Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0224.jpg
    Griffon Vulture, Despenaperros, 28 Oct 17 -0224.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Griffon Vulture, Desp, 27 Oct 17 -0232.jpg
    Griffon Vulture, Desp, 27 Oct 17 -0232.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Griffon Vulture, Desp, 27 Oct 17 -0233.jpg
    Griffon Vulture, Desp, 27 Oct 17 -0233.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 38
A dark Griffon.
No pale edges to the underparts (including the undertail coverts). Rüppell's have shorter wings also. The grey skin on the face of this bird would tend to be a shade of pinkish in Rüppell's, etc.
The northernmost record in Portugal was in the Gerês area (around here) in 1993 (if my memory is correct), and last year I saw one in the Douro basin (here).
I guess in Spain they might have been seen further to the north, but not sure.

Thanks for the response and the details, there is a possibility that they might appear in the Systema Central around Somosierra which I frequently visit. I did see one at Cabranosa a week earlier, pictures here. Not very clear unfortunately, it only appeared in one picture, and then only in one corner.

Yep, that's one. Up to 4 (5?) together have been seen at Cabranosa/Sagres. I'd guess that Rüppell's are possible anywhere in the Iberian Peninsula where Griffons are found as they migrate together. It's just that they're easier to find at the migration points where Griffons congregate in very large numbers.

I'm wondering how far north the Ruppell's have been seen.

First records for France now, published in Ornithos (confirming they're possible anywhere in the Iberian Peninsula where Griffons are found):
PONS J.-M., 2018.
Note : Premières mentions validées du Vautour de Rüppell Gyps rueppellii en France.
[Note: Rüppell’s Vulture, new to France.]
Ornithos, 25 (1) : 44-49.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back