• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No EDGs showing on Nikon Website (1 Viewer)

The current EDG (2nd Edition) is unchanged since 2010 and the optics in them have been unchanged since 2007 or 2008 when the first double hinged edition was introduced in North America.

10 years is a long time in the binocular industry. I guess we will have to wait to see if Nikon will issue a new flagship binocular.

I have the new Monarch HG 8x42 and while it is very well designed and I like it very much, I don't think it has "Flagship" quality. It is not as ruggedly built as my original 8x32 LXL (HGL) is. (To be fair, very few binoculars are built this ruggedly.) It shows up most in the Diopter Ring which is an inferior copy of the original LXLs diopter ring. Its locking mechanism is not as heavy and reliable.

I also have some minor eye placement problems that I can work around. I think they come from the use of a prism slightly too small for its 8.3º FOV. This may explain the slightly truncated exit pupils that Allbinos notes in their review of the Monarch 10x42 HG in an otherwise very good review.

https://www.allbinos.com/314-binoculars_review-Nikon_Monarch_HG_10x42.html

Bob

Last edited:
The EDG range are still on the Nikon UK and Netherlands websites, but has been deleted from Nikon Australia's.

Lee

The EDG has beeen discontinued. I know some guy's at Nikon who are trying to round up a few in Japan for some guy's who are still looking to purchase them. I have been using the MONARCH HG's this past year and love em. The filed flattener really make the images pop from edge to edge.
I do not work for Nikon but I do some freelance event's for them and I am just passing along the info that was given to me.

The EDG binoculars are excellent optically but poor mechanically (loose hinge, drifting diopter, bubbling armor etc.). They have never been a good seller for Nikon (many retailers never stocked them, they just listed them as special orders) and their archiving was inevitable.

EDGs

The EDG binoculars are excellent optically but poor mechanically (loose hinge, drifting diopter, bubbling armor etc.). They have never been a good seller for Nikon (many retailers never stocked them, they just listed them as special orders) and their archiving was inevitable.

Check the reviews and I have three EDG IIs, they are very well built as well as optically excellent- sure there are going to be issues with some as there are with every top manufacturer. Nikon never marketed them aggressively as other manufacturers promoted their own premium glass. On the other hand they never upgraded them since their development in 2010.

A.W.

I had all EDGs II with the exception of the 7x42, and still have the 8x32----I know how to tighten up the hinge, and how to focus to prevent diopter drifting, but many don't----I have seen EDG II binoculars with diopters that drifted to -/+4d after a few turns of the focus wheel, with hinges so loose that one had to adjust the IPD continuously, and with the rubber armor in a deplorable state.

"sure there are going to be issues with some as there are with every top manufacturer"

I have had no trouble with any of mine.

One thing I have learned about Binoculars, not all products made by reputable producers are bad. Some of these stories are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overblown.

You still have your 8X32...........right?

Whatever

A.W.

The EDGs with problems were the EDG 1st edition binoculars with double hinges which were sold only in North America from 2007 or 2008 until 2010 when they were discontinued. I had one with armor that bubbled. Nikon replaced it with the current single hinge versions in 2012 and I have had no problems with it nor have I heard of any problems with this version.

They were never good sellers. Many of them were sold directly off the Nikon website which did not help overall sales. People like to look through expensive binoculars before they buy them.

Nikon's EDGs have been unchanged except for the aforesaid exterior for 10 years and they are overdue for an upgrade.

Bob

Last edited:
Nikon's EDGs have been unchanged except for the aforesaid exterior for 10 years and they are overdue for an upgrade. Bob

I find it amazing that there were no updates. I have a low serial number 7x42 EDG II and often wondered if a younger model would be an improvement. Nice to find out it wouldn’t be.

I don’t suppose Nikon’s next top of the range line will include a 7x42 or 7x35/6. A 7x35 would be fantastic as I feel less inclined to carry a 42mm these days.

I am considering an 8x42 MHG for it’s lighweight after taking out my 7x42 EDG and 8x32 SE riding yesterday, I realise I am a Nikon fanboy.

Yup. I bought a pair of new EDG 10 x 42 that a guy was selling at a huge discount. They are indeed fine to look through--not the brightest binocs but the quality of colors and the lack of eye fatigue of any kind are wonderful. But the paint has chipped on the focus wheel and the rubber eyecups are prone to falling off unexpectedly. I could not just order extra eyecups from Nikon, they demanded that I send the binoculars in for repair. This cost me a fairly expensive shipping fee, including insurance. Overall, the build and the dealer service is not on part with what one would expect from an elite optic.

I haven’t owned EDG’s but the few folks I know who own them say the same thing. They love them optically but sends them in once every year or two for a complete overhaul as the armor is peeling off and/or the eye cups have fallen off. These are people who use them 200+ days per year.

Did they(Nikon) repair your 10X42 EDGs, and If I may ask when did you ship them to Nikon.

Andy W.

My EDG binoculars are actually 8 x 42, not 10 x 42, FWIW.

This happened last summer. I shipped the binocs to Nikon in Los Angeles and indeed, they replaced the thin rubber eyecup piece I had lost. I also asked them to do something about the paint chipping on the focus wheel, but they did not (I was not surprised).

I subsequently lightly glued on the rubber eyepiece covers and they have stayed put ever since. The EDG binocs are actually truly excellent optically, so I still use and enjoy them, of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back