• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed Leiothrix? Sleeping Giant, Kaua'i, Hawai'i (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
While hiking the Sleeping Giant summit on the east side of Kaua'i, I caught a flash of a look at a small bird with a distinctive and defined yellow throat - no photos but got a recording of what I believe is a Red-billed Leiothrix. eBird reports indicate that they've been seen in recent years on Kaua'i, though some of my book material says otherwise about their presence on the island.

Would love some input from Asian birders familiar with this song - and distinguishing it from Hwamei or other related species that are also introduced in Hawai'i. The bird I saw was far too small for a Hwamei / Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush. Apologies for the poor recording quality - the bird was continually repeating this type of phrasing, not as varied as Hwamei songs I heard while on the island, nor on recordings I've reviewed.

Attachments

• New Recording 30.m4a
    70.3 KB · Views: 18
It's very difficult to tell because the recording seems to consist mostly of footsteps.

But where I live in Japan we have (at one particular location near my house) a place where RBL is the main bird (descended from escapees).

And your recording doesn't sound like this to me. Here's an example. There are some Japanese Bush Warblers and a couple of other species in the background, but I think you can distinguish the main sound.

Attachments

• 180702 RBL NE2.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
The original recording sounds like a Hwamei to me, it seems a bit too high and unstructured for the Leiothrix. I don't know whether there are similar-sounding birds on Hawai'i that also need consideration though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back