• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crane ID needed - Tokyo area (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Dear All,

On a business trip last week, whilst travelling by taxi to Tokyo from Narita airport, I had a close view of a crane walking / feeding along the side of a rice field in an area of fairly open agricultural land. The view was short, maybe 10 seconds, so I was not able to get a photograph.

The bird appeared to be a Gray-crowned Crane, Balearica regulorum, the crown on the head being very prominent. On checking the Oriental Bird Club and the Mangoverde World Bird Guide websites, this species does not seem to be present in Japan, so I am perplexed by my sighting.

Please could someone help me confirm this sighting?

Does this species occasionally frequent Japan? If not, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest what I may have seen. It's possible that the bird was a captive bird, but this seems unlikely to me and it appeared to be free-roaming.

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

(note - also posting this message on the bird ID Q&A forum.)

Thank you
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back