• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SLC 15x56 planet observation (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

When first using the Swarovski SLC 15x56 for planet observation I was a little disappointed with a slight flare off the bright planets.

But when observing these same planets (Mars, Jupiter, Venus recently) before dusk, and dawn, all the planets are perfectly round except Venus with a half crest but needs to be observed the soonest to see it as a crest with the 15x56.
Mars at dawn gives me a perfectly round planet also.

I imagine a neutral density transmission filter would remove the flare at night but would it be worth it?
Or stick to excellent star observing and forget bright planets like Jupiter, Saturn and Venus in the dead of night?

Attachments

• DSC02472 copy.jpg
    DSC02472 copy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 152
I observe the same phenomenon which you describe on all bright celestial objects, e.g. Sirius and other very bright stars.
Knowing it‘s not a defect of the instrument, I just accept it. I have used filters occasionally, but never liked the way this changed the impression of the night sky, so I gave it up. Maybe other forum members offer different advice?

Hi PlanetMaker.

Firstly, could you please make another 9 copies of planet Earth, which would just provide enough resources for our 7 billion plus population. Also arrange for no increase in total population.

The main problem with high end binoculars and flare is likely with the observer's eyes unless they are very good with or without correction glasses.

Secondly, it is essential to observe in twilight to get the best view of a bright planet.
Mars is now about magnitude minus 2.8 and as bright as the brightest Jupiter can get, but a different colour.
It is not red as comparison with an aircraft red navigation light will immediately show.

Anyone with a scope should try to observe Mars now, although I think a dust storm may now be obscuring the detail, which is easily seen in a fair sized scope at high power when there are no dust storms.

I have actually seen Mars at magnitude minus 1.1 with unaided eyes with the Sun above the horizon.

The best view of the Venus crescent was one I had with the Foton 5x25 binocular when the crescent was thin.

Neutral density filters will help, maybe a variable density one.
Thin cloud does the same job.
Planetary observers use colour filters with large scopes, but I never bothered.
They definitely show more detail.

With Jupiter without filters the moons are easily seen, especially with a 15x56.

Saturn's Titan will also be visible when at elongation.

The problem from the U.K. is that Mars, Saturn and Neptune and Uranus are very south and very low, but the U.S. and southern countries have a much better view.

Enjoy the sky views.

P.S.
Venus is currently at 60% phase but this is decreasing to 50% and less from mid August.

Mars disc is 24 arcseconds across.

Titan at elongation July24, August 1st and August 9th.

Last edited:
Hi PlanetMaker.

Firstly, could you please make another 9 copies of planet Earth, which would just provide enough resources for our 7 billion plus population. Also arrange for no increase in total population.

The main problem with high end binoculars and flare is likely with the observer's eyes unless they are very good with or without correction glasses.

Secondly, it is essential to observe in twilight to get the best view of a bright planet.
Mars is now about magnitude minus 2.8 and as bright as the brightest Jupiter can get, but a different colour.
It is not red as comparison with an aircraft red navigation light will immediately show.

Anyone with a scope should try to observe Mars now, although I think a dust storm may now be obscuring the detail, which is easily seen in a fair sized scope at high power when there are no dust storms.

I have actually seen Mars at magnitude minus 1.1 with unaided eyes with the Sun above the horizon.

The best view of the Venus crescent was one I had with the Foton 5x25 binocular when the crescent was thin.

Neutral density filters will help, maybe a variable density one.
Thin cloud does the same job.
Planetary observers use colour filters with large scopes, but I never bothered.
They definitely show more detail.

With Jupiter without filters the moons are easily seen, especially with a 15x56.

Saturn's Titan will also be visible when at elongation.

The problem from the U.K. is that Mars, Saturn and Neptune and Uranus are very south and very low, but the U.S. and southern countries have a much better view.

Enjoy the sky views.

P.S.
Venus is currently at 60% phase but this is decreasing to 50% and less from mid August.

Mars disc is 24 arcseconds across.

Titan at elongation July24, August 1st and August 9th.
Thanks for the great info, it's good to know my eyes and the 15x56 are fine

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back