• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Granites? (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Hoping a Southeast AZ birder can help me with directions to the Granites. Never heard of them before today and understand I might be able to see Black-chinned Sparrows there.
I understand the location is on the west side of the Swisshelm (?) mountain range. I saw something about them being 7 miles due east of Elfrida.
Hoping I can get some better directions pinned down. I would be coming from Bisbee.
Thanks, Lisa

Hoping a Southeast AZ birder can help me with directions to the Granites. Never heard of them before today and understand I might be able to see Black-chinned Sparrows there.
I understand the location is on the west side of the Swisshelm (?) mountain range. I saw something about them being 7 miles due east of Elfrida.
Hoping I can get some better directions pinned down. I would be coming from Bisbee.
Thanks, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

This is an excellent area. I was going to go there today until I got waylaid by finding a couple of rarities :D

It's the rocky part of the Swisshelm Mountains, a small range along the western flank of the Chiricahuas. It's on the very edge of the Elfrida Christmas Bird Count circle, which allows us to add many more species to the list as it's a completely different habitat to the rest of the count area.

To get there, take Jefferson Rd east from Elfrida, and continue until you're near the base of the mountains. I can't remember if it's paved up to this point or if it's already turned into a dirt road by then. Anyway, it's definitely dirt roads after you encounter a gate across the road, and it deteriorates soon after you go through the gate. A small SUV and a positive attitude should be all you need to make it.

Go through the gate, and if I remember correctly, you take a rough dirt road soon after on the right. Follow this until you get to the very base of the rocky slope. The road drops down into a nice little oak canyon with an unofficial campground.

From there you can explore the rocky slopes and surrounding area on foot, looking for Black-chinned Sparrow (one of the most reliable sites I know, but rarely easy), Golden Eagle (overhead), Montezuma Quail (rare), etc. I've seen White-nosed Coatis there as well. It's a very beautiful place.

Coati-Granites-10-1220-10.jpg

Richard,

Thank you. I actually went from the AZ-NM bird list post, to the Finding Birds in Arizona (couldn't find the info), then to a google search that lead to an old post of yours that had pictures of Coatis on it. Glad you answered. I think a trip next weekend might be in order.

Lisa

I've made a Google map of where to turn and where to park. Hope it works: http://g.co/maps/gjgmc

The right turn just after the gate (maybe 500 feet) is not at all obvious. If I remember correctly, it looks a bit like a wash at first. I've missed this rough dirt road before and ended up going north, to a solitary house in the foothills. If you get there, you've gone way too far. Nice drive, though, albeit another slow and bumpy one.

If it's rained recently, you might need 4 wheel drive. Otherwise high clearance should be enough, but it's bumpy in parts and you might have to squeeze between encroaching mesquites.

When you get to the little stand of oaks at the base of The Granites, park and explore wherever you can. There's a rough trail heading south which quickly leads to the base of the rocks. I've seen Black-chinned Sparrows in this area, and in the mesquite habitat downhill. They respond well to pishing but they can be shy, unobtrusive birds.

The oaks can be productive, with a different set of possibilities.

Hope you make it! Let us know how you get on...

Another really wonderful place nearby, which is almost unknown to birders, is Leslie Canyon, which runs between the Swisshelm Mountains and the Chiricahua Mountains. It's a National Wildlife Refuge but it's out of the way and not on the radar of most birders. I've only been there a few times but it's one of the nicest drives in Arizona.

You can drive a loop from the eastern end of either Rucker Road to the north or Davis Road to the south. Coming from Davis and heading north to Rucker, you first encounter a lovely canyon which leads to a rich riparian area by the road. After that it opens up into a gorgeous sweeping valley with grassland and agriculture, before arriving in mixed and riparian habitats at the base of Rucker Canyon.

I've never seen any particularly notable birds in my few visits, but it must get some interesting migrants as well as having a nice range of wildlife throughout. Highly recommended!

Edit: web page: http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=22524

Edit again: I wouldn't be surprised if you could get Black-chinned Sparrow in the pass that crosses the Swisshelm foothills between Davis and Leslie Canyon. It's the right sort of habitat.

Last edited:
Sorry to go on...

Here are some Leslie Canyon photos:

Leslie-Canyon-17Sep07-11.jpg
Arriving from Davis Road

Leslie-Canyon-17Sep07-27.jpg
As the valley opens up

Leslie-Canyon-17Sep07-17.jpg
The north end near Rucker Canyon

Another good place for Black-chinned Sparrow near you Lisa is Middlemarch Pass over the Dragoon mountains. Stunning scenery there as well. Same with Cochise Stronghold on the east of the Dragoons, where I've seen Black-chinned Sparrows. There's a right turn directly after the national forest sign, another bumpy dirt road, which leads to the base of a side canyon (Kerwin Canyon). And there must be suitable habitat in the Mule mountains, although to be honest I don't know where, other than suggesting you explore some rocky slopes.

Last edited:
Richard,
Thank you for all the information. I do plan on going and will have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Will post again after I've been and describe what I've seen.

Lisa

Richard,

Thanks for the great directions. Using them I made it to the Granites today. Even with a 4-wheel drive I'm glad I didn't go after a rain, it was bad enough when dry. Didn't see any Black-chinned, Golden Eagles, or Coatis; but I still had a great time. I was there for right at 3 hours. I saw a lot of Black-throated sparrows, and I thought they all wintered at my house. :-O I did see a lot of Towhees - both Green-tailed and Canyon, one or two Cactus Wrens, a Sapsucker with a lot of red on its head - to far away even with binocs to get a really good view, a good number of male and female Northern Cardinals, and for me the best of the day great views of a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, I was hoping it was a Black-capped, but then saw that distinctive eye ring. It was the best and longest view of a Black-tailed I have ever seen. I will definitely be going to there again.

When I tried to go from Davis road to Leslie Canyon my gps had me turn in at a house, instead of the road. So will have to try it again, next time from Leslie Canyon road in Douglas.

Attachments

• Black-tailed-Gnatcatcher1.jpg
    Black-tailed-Gnatcatcher1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back