• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gibraltar in October (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
Going with the wife for a short break in Gib, only taking Bins with me, what and where can I do any reasonable bird watching.

Tarifa

Hi ?

Around Tarifa to the south there are several official raptor counting stations for Programa Migres run by the Spanish Ornithological Society (SEO).

The ones I recall when I did the count some years ago are Algorrobo, Cazalla and Trafico.

You also have La Janda a little further still to the south, great for Black-shouldered Kite.

All the best, have a good trip and don't forget to post your sightings.

Will you have access to a car? If so bear in mind that, unless you time it carefully, there can be something of a queue to get off and then back onto Gib. So try to avoid obvious rush hours and when aircraft are taking off/landing (the road crosses the runway). If without a car frequent buses run from La Linea (just over the birder) to Algeciras where you can change for Tarifa. I think you can also get to other sites by bus (see www.tgcomes.es). The Algeciras-Ronda train also takes you to some good locations.

Naturally, I'd be happy to let you have a copy of my 95 page birding notes/site guide for Cadiz province which others have found useful - send me a PM with your email address & I'll forward a pdf to you. They're free, but if you feel inclined a suitable donation to a wildlife charity of your choice would be appreciated. My website (see below) gives you, I hope, a flavour of the area and a taste of my site guide,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back