• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carmines (1 Viewer)

Bind up

If anyone is in Gambia now/soon there are some Carmines to be seen without going to Georgetown. They are near Kartong and the guide I use knows where.
[email protected]
His name is Lamin Darboe, he also has a good place for four banded sand grouse👍🏼

One post and an advert !!! The sand grouse you can find behind at Tanji quite easily. The Carmine are very infrequent at Kartong and seem to be up river too these last few years too.

One post and an advert !!! The sand grouse you can find behind at Tanji quite easily. The Carmine are very infrequent at Kartong and seem to be up river too these last few years too.

Sorry, I must have missed the meeting where you were appointed Minister for what you can/cannot post. Perhaps if I had mentioned your guide.....

For what it’s worth I am aware that the Carmines are infrequent at Kartong, my post was to let people know they were there at that time. Also, other guides had taken people there the same day but had not seen them hence the “advert”.

Sorry, I must have missed the meeting where you were appointed Minister for what you can/cannot post. Perhaps if I had mentioned your guide.....

For what it’s worth I am aware that the Carmines are infrequent at Kartong, my post was to let people know they were there at that time. Also, other guides had taken people there the same day but had not seen them hence the “advert”.

If you had had the experience I have had with that Lamin you wouldn't recommend him either. He wasn't dubbed snake eagle for nothing.I wondered if he had posted the original.
Happy Christmas.:t:

If you had had the experience I have had with that Lamin you wouldn't recommend him either. He wasn't dubbed snake eagle for nothing.I wondered if he had posted the original.
Happy Christmas.:t:

OK, so your response was about the guide and not my post!!
All I can say is I take as I find and I have used this guy for 6 years, he always delivers for me and I have no reason to move away from him. We will have to accept that we are not all the same.
Happy Christmas to you B :)

For anyone planning a trip, Lamin’s website is https://www.gambiabirdguide.org

Last edited:
Northern Carmine Bee-eaters have become annual winter visitors and passage migrants at Kartong. They were first recorded in November 2013. Subsequently numbers passing through the site amongst flocks of Blue-cheeks has varied from singletons to 11 individuals over the years. In 2018 the first bird was seen on 28th November and up to 3 have been recorded on various dates since then.
Because these birds are mixed with a flock of up to 200 Blue-cheeks they are highly mobile and range between Stalla Lodge on the Hallahin River the large quarry at Kartong wetlands and KBO. To maximise chances of seeing them check all the Blue-cheek flocks especially between the quarry and Berracunto shrine (at the end of the beach road) around mid-morning. They can also be observed from the beach looking north-east too the line of palms behind the Faro Bantos creeks. Presently Kartong is the only site that holds this species as the flock usually seen up river at Wassu has disappeared this winter.
Four-banded Sandgrouse are resident breeders at Kartong and can be seen virtually anywhere around the quarries. However, a regular place they appear is near the large Baobab on the northern end of the western quarry. They are a breeding species here (November / December) and should be respected as such. The easiest and best way to see them is to be on site at dusk when they come to drink in good numbers (15-20) at the main quarry.

Last edited:
Northern Carmine Bee-eaters have become annual winter visitors and passage migrants at Kartong. They were first recorded in November 2013. Subsequently numbers passing through the site amongst flocks of Blue-cheeks has varied from singletons to 11 individuals over the years. In 2018 the first bird was seen on 28th November and up to 3 have been recorded on various dates since then.
Because these birds are mixed with a flock of up to 200 Blue-cheeks they are highly mobile and range between Stalla Lodge on the Hallahin River the large quarry at Kartong wetlands and KBO. To maximise chances of seeing them check all the Blue-cheek flocks especially between the quarry and Berracunto shrine (at the end of the beach road) around mid-morning. They can also be observed from the beach looking north-east too the line of palms behind the Faro Bantos creeks. Presently Kartong is the only site that holds this species as the flock usually seen up river at Wassu has disappeared this winter.
Four-banded Sandgrouse are resident breeders at Kartong and can be seen virtually anywhere around the quarries. However, a regular place they appear is near the large Baobab on the northern end of the western quarry. They are a breeding species here (November / December) and should be respected as such. The easiest and best way to see them is to be on site at dusk when they come to drink in good numbers (15-20) at the main quarry.
If it helps your records Colin there were 5 Carmines there on the 15th mixed in with the blue cheeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back