• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide / map for SE AZ? (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi.

Starting to plan a birding trip to SE AZ there are some questions...

Which of the following books would you prefer?
  • "A Birder's Guide to Southeastern Arizona" by Richard Cachor Taylor (ABA)
  • "Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona" by Mark Stevenson (Tucson Audubon Society)
Both seem to be quite up to date but I don't know if there are crucial differences.

Which are the top spots one should not miss?

Is there a topographic map/atlas that you would recommend (detailled, up to date, with campgrounds/tent pitches)?

Since we are going to make a side trip to Grand Canyon NP and not having information on birding spots besides SE Arizona, is there any place en route that is good for birding (for additional species we won't get in the SE)?

Thanks!

Kilian

I'm sure that others will have their own favorite sites, but mine are:

Madera Canyon (Santa Ritas)
Beatty's Orchard/Miller Canyon (Huachucas)
ALL of the Chiricahuas (especially S. Fork Cave Creek)
Sonora Desert Museum

I always recommend lurking on the area listserves (there are two for AZ) in order to find out where special birds are and where people are having productive birding:

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AZNM.html
http://www.nazaudubon.com/sightings/

As for the atlas/topo, there are several companies that publish them, but a widely used brand is Delorme. Their atlases (they call them gazeteers) show campgrounds. Each national forest has a website and you can contact them for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Atlas...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293728351&sr=8-1

BTW, when you contact campgrounds in the US about camping, they automatically assume that you will be in an RV. If they tell you they're full, make sure to tell them that you'll be in a tent. There are usually tent-only spots that never get used.

The famous places in AZ are famous for a reason, so they're nearly always worth a visit.

Best of luck in your planning.

Last edited:
Hi Killian,
I personally prefer the Tucson Audubon Book by Mark Stevenson.
My favorite sites depend on time of year.
In spring, summer and early fall are:
Ash Canyon B&B (you don't have to stay there to bird there)
Beatty's Orchard
Madera Canyon
Sweetwater wetland (in Tucson, go early do to the heat)
San Pedro River - again early birding gets hot later in the day
South fork in the Chiricahuas
The Paton's house in Patagonia.
If you are coming in late fall or winter:
Sweetwater wetland
Whitewater Draw
Ash Canyon

If you are starting in SE Arizona and heading to the Grand Canyon, Gilbert Water Ranch in the Phoenix area is usually good for migrants.

Do you have any target birds? Might be able to hit certain places to maximize your finds.

Agree with Steve about using the listservs prior to coming.

Lisa

I pretty much agree with everything above. In terms of which "finding birds" books, we're lucky to have two of the finest of this genre anywhere, so either one is perfectly adequate. As a board member of Tucson Audubon I have to say go for that one, but Rick Taylor's is set up more for the out-of-town visitor.

The best way of keeping tabs on the latest Arizona birds is at the listserv's own home, http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdwg05.html. This has more functionality than the others mentioned.

Birding hotspots: http://www.sabo.org/birding/sites.htm

Map: http://www.seazbirdingtrail.com/

Got to dash - Atascosa Highlands Christmas Bird Count in the morning...

Hi.

Thank you for all the recommendations for birding spots, books (not sure which where-to-watch to choose, yet) and the listserver addresses.

We will be visiting AZ from mid April to May and after having read a bit I will surely ask you for a the best up-to-date spots for some species..

Happy New Year!

Kilian

Hi.

Thank you for all the recommendations for birding spots, books (not sure which where-to-watch to choose, yet) and the listserver addresses.

We will be visiting AZ from mid April to May and after having read a bit I will surely ask you for a the best up-to-date spots for some species..

Happy New Year!

Kilian

Hope you decide to post a full trip report as I'm planning a trip in April/May 2012 and your experiences will be very useful. Hope you have a great time

You've picked a great time to come, spring migration and early nesting.

The Tucson Audobon Guide was published in 2007, the ABA guide in 2005. Does this affect being up-to-date of the ABA guide?

Otherwise I think I will go for the ABA guide due to Richard's advice.

Hi,

These two links might also be useful.

Various Northern Arizona birding sites can be found here:
http://nazaudubon.com/wtbFlagstaff.html

That is a good source of information, since I have not found any other information on birding spots other than SE Arizona yet (unfortunately the USA guidebook by National Geographic is not helpful either).

Reviews of the two se Arizona bird-finding guides here:
http://www.azfo.org/birding/review_2006.html

Interesting review. Both guides seem to be quite good. What is crucial is if you are a local or not; the ABA guide recommending day trip iteneraries.

Kilian

Excellent tips from Steve and Lisa. To that may I add Ramsey Canyon? I'll probably go in April too. Lisa and Sue, I hope we can get to meet somehow.

Excellent tips from Steve and Lisa. To that may I add Ramsey Canyon? I'll probably go in April too. Lisa and Sue, I hope we can get to meet somehow.

Would like that a lot, Kilian - the same goes for you. I love showing birders around my area.

SE AZ trip in April/May; final questions

Hi.

I have finally planned our trip. Nevertheless there are some open questions left...

Are there any reliable and up-to-date spots for the following bird species:
  • Montezuma Quail
  • Scaled Quail
  • Common Black Hawk
  • Whiskered Screech Owl
  • Owls (any, especially Elf, Burrowing, Mexican and Ferruginous Pygmy)
  • Goatsuckers (any)
  • Elegant Trogon
  • Green Kingfisher
  • Olive Warbler
  • Painted Redstart
  • Red-faced Warbler
  • Rose-throated Becard
  • Indigo Bunting
  • Varied Bunting
In addition we are interested in seeing some reptiles and mammals. Are there any good places for the following species
  • Gila Monster
  • Snakes (any, especially Rattlesnakes an AZ Coral Snake)
  • Pronghorn
  • Bighorn Sheep
  • Coyote
  • Kit Fox
  • Black Bear
Any chance to see Mountain Lion (Dream...)?

And at last some organizational stuff:
  • Do you think it is possible to get a place for one tent on campsites without prebooking (April-May)?
  • In the Chiricahuas are there any problems with Black Bears when leaving edibles in a car by day?
  • Would you recommend bringing a scope with us or is it just dead weight?

Okay. I think that was it... ..for now. ;)

Regards

Kilian

I may be a little late to this question, but...you might want to take a look at Stuart Healy's website. He is a local guide, and has done a very detailed comparison of the two birdfinder's guides.

http://www.aztrogon.com/AZInfo/Main.htm, then follow the link to Birding literature.

You may also find some very useful information in his journals, which I used last year to prepare for a quick trip to the area. There are a number of very good guides in the area, who might be worth your while looking at, depending on how much time you'll have.
Enjoy. It's an amazing area.

Veagle

A few quick answers below...

• Montezuma Quail - currently very scarce having suffered last breeding season. Even when they're common they're very difficult to see. The Ruby Road area is good (California Gulch, Sycamore Canyon, Pena Blanca Lake) or anywhere on grassy hills and rocky slopes with oaks in the Patagonia, Huachuca, Chiricahua or Santa Rita Mountains.
  • Scaled Quail - Sulphur Springs Valley is good, or grasslands around Elgin, Huachuca foothills.
  • Common Black Hawk - migrating through SE Arizona right now, by April/May they will be on territory a little further north. Arivaipa Canyon is probably the closest to Tucson.
  • Whiskered Screech Owl - Madera Canyon or other similar oak/mixed woodland at 5,000 ft or higher.
  • Owls (any, especially Elf, Burrowing, Mexican and Ferruginous Pygmy) - Elf Owl at Madera Canyon, Battiste's B&B near Sierra Vista. Burrowing in agricultural areas such as Santa Cruz Flats or Sulphur Springs Valley with one or two in/around Tucson. Mexican (Spotted, I assume) roosting during the day at Miller Canyon, or Scheelite Canyon on Fort Huachuca. Ferruginous Pygmy is only left at one or two secret sites in S Arizona and is the only owl I've yet to see. You can safely assume you won't see one. In general, an owling expedition in one of the mountain ranges should net you something of interest.
  • Goatsuckers (any) - places like Madera Canyon are best
  • Elegant Trogon - Madera Canyon, Huachucas, Chiricahuas.
  • Green Kingfisher - sporadic at best. A few recent records but none that have hung around. Most likely at San Pedro House and Patagonia Lake/Sonoita Creek.
  • Olive Warbler - breeds in mountains from 5,000 feet upwards. Madera Canyon, Mt Lemmon, etc
  • Painted Redstart - quite common in wooded canyons, again, Madera Canyon, Huachucas, Chiricahuas, etc.
  • Red-faced Warbler - higher elevations in mountains, as above
  • Rose-throated Becard - sadly has not returned to breed for four years. The usual site is the Patagonia Roadside Rest.
  • Indigo Bunting - small numbers can sometimes be seen in riparian areas such as San Pedro River, Empire Ranch
  • Varied Bunting - not usually seen until mid-May. Uncommon on rocky slopes. Try Proctor Road at Madera Canyon, Patagonia Roadside Rest, California Gulch.
In addition we are interested in seeing some reptiles and mammals. Are there any good places for the following species
  • Gila Monster - prime Sonoran desert, such as Saguaro National Park (East or West). Rare.
  • Snakes (any, especially Rattlesnakes an AZ Coral Snake) Rattlers are fairly easily encountered at places like Saguaro National Park around or after dusk, especially on the road. During the day, any dirt roads are worth driving down extremely slowly whilst scanning for what are often brown snakes on a brown road. You can easily go for weeks without seeing any snakes if you're not looking out for them.
  • Pronghorn - uncommon but often encountered around Elgin/Sonoita.
  • Bighorn Sheep - rare. I've never seen one.
  • Coyote - any open habitats, relatively common and can be seen during the day.
  • Kit Fox - never seen one.
  • Black Bear - still not seen one in Arizona. I'm way overdue.
Any chance to see Mountain Lion (Dream...)? - I'm still dreaming too...

And at last some organizational stuff:
  • Do you think it is possible to get a place for one tent on campsites without prebooking (April-May)? - No idea I'm afraid.
  • In the Chiricahuas are there any problems with Black Bears when leaving edibles in a car by day? - I wouldn't have thought so during the day. At night, yes, be careful.
  • Would you recommend bringing a scope with us or is it just dead weight? - yes and no. I carry one all the time but only because I'm a guide. I sometimes don't use it at all in wooded canyons. If you can bear it, bring it, but it's not a huge loss if you can't, as much of your birding will be in canyons.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back