• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice for Tucson area? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are driving to Dallas from s. California and will be passing through Tucson. I've almost convinced him that we need to stop around Tucson and do a little birding. Can someone give me a good birding place for someone who's never been in the area for a half-day or a day's worth of birding time? My husband likes the birds, but he's going to be impatient and so I'm looking for a place that has a lot of easy-to-see birds.

Thanks, S.

second Niels's recommendation of the desert museum!

Also, if you can: Mount Lemon 's higher altitude has red-faced warbler, yellow-eyed junco and greater Pewee: check the forests around the reservoir / lake. THe restaurant at the top has hummingbird feeders which attract broad-tailed hmmingbird amongst others.

The sweetwater water treatment plant can be good as well.

Cheers,

filip

Thanks so much for the recommendations. This may seem like a stupid question, but I've been reading about the desert museum's aviaries -- are those captive birds? We're not so much as interested in seeing captive birds as wild birds -- can someone tell me about what's there in the wild vs. the captive animals?

Any recommendations a little off the path in Tucson are also welcome!

The Paton yard in Patagonia is really a pretty good place as Niels said. What date do you expect to be coming through? Patagonia is off of I-10 about 20 or so miles from Tucson. If you are coming through soon you should see some good hummers in the yard: Violet-crowned, Anna's, Broad-billed, Rufous should be coming in about now, and Costa. The yard also as a "regular" bird feeding area off to the side which attracts a number of regional specialties. And right outside of town is the famous Patagonia Road side rest known for attracting rarities.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. This may seem like a stupid question, but I've been reading about the desert museum's aviaries -- are those captive birds? We're not so much as interested in seeing captive birds as wild birds -- can someone tell me about what's there in the wild vs. the captive animals?

Any recommendations a little off the path in Tucson are also welcome!

I am not absolutely sure of my memory, but I remember this as a place where I saw some captive mammals but wild birds. From the ABA guide: "But wild birds hold their own here too. All the regular desert species are present". Costa's Hummingbird is specifically mentioned as a year round resident in the area. If you think you might return later, the ABA guide is definitely worth getting.

Niels

Great! Thanks for all the advice! You guys are great!

We will be driving through in about 2 weeks, so I'm hoping to see all those hummers. Looking at the map, if we drove in during the late afternoon, would it be feasible to catch birds at the Sweetwater plant in the afternoon /evening and then do the desert museum / Patagonia and/or the mountains the next morning before driving out again in the afternoon? What time of day is best for each location? Of course I'd rather do the wetlands in the morning but I'm just trying to make it work with our drive east.

The wetlands are open until dusk, so can definitely do in the evening. Might still be hot. Desert Museum opens at 7:30 it is on the far west side of Tucson. The Paton yard in Patagonia is open till dusk. So you could see both the museum and yard if you leave the museum on time.

I had an enjoyable few hours in December in the Saguaro NP right on the E edge of the city. I'm not sure how it compares with the sites others have mentioned, but it's very accessible.

I had an enjoyable few hours in December in the Saguaro NP right on the E edge of the city. I'm not sure how it compares with the sites others have mentioned, but it's very accessible.

Can recommend saguaro east as well. habitat is same as Desert Museum, but we did see rufous-crowned and winged sparrow there as well as lesser nighthawk and elf owl hunting near dusk. I found that the loop and trails allowed you more access to the desert itself.

Cheers,

filip

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Madera Canyon. A good mix of bird life with hummingbirds feeders at the office, mountain birds on the trails and desert species on the way in. Known for rarities such as Aztec Thrush and Flame-colored tanager. Its about 35-40 miles south of Tuscon via Green Valley.
Patagonia is actually more than 50 miles from Tucson (from the I-10 and I-19 intersection), via Vail on I-10, more if the path were through the Nogales area. Not to take away from the area where I saw many a life bird.
For a half-day's time, one might consider focusing on only one place and the Desert Museum is not a bad place to spend the morning. It is located north east of Tucson which should be directly in the path to California. Plenty of trails, caged (the hummingbird aviary was my favorite) and uncaged birds, a free flight show of Harris Hawks, and plenty of trails with native flowers and plants. The riparian Corridor, with its multiple water features, had the most bird life. Throw in bathrooms, ice cream and air-conditioned restaurant and you have a refreshing stop for long distance travelers without being an "inconvenience".

Steve

Steve, Madera is wonderful. I went with Patagonia because it is closer to their way east, than Madera. If you take off the Sonoita - Patagonia exit out from I-10 it is pretty easy to get to and close.

Thanks everyone for your great advice! After AGONIZING over all the wonderful options, I decided we couldn't pass up Madera Canyon. We're going to drive into Tucson in the afternoon, try to swing by Sweetwater or the Desert Museum briefly (any votes for which?), and then spend the night in Madera Canyon so we can hopefully get some owls at night and then the morning with the birds. Any advice on where/how to look for owls there? We've never really been owling before (I have only 3 owls on my life list, and only because they sat right in front of me). I am off to Walmart now to buy a big flashlight! I need to pack lots of water and mosquito spray too, right? Anything else? Sadly the lady who booked my reservation said that the bird numbers are slightly down right now because of all the rain, but said there are still lots, plus tons of bears around.

Thanks again for all the help -- you guys were invaluable! That's why I love this forum.

P.S. If we are arriving in the afternoon (3-4 pm), would Sweetwater or the Desert Museum be even worth it, or is it just going to be so baking hot that neither birds nor human beings will want to be out and about?

Thanks everyone for your great advice! After AGONIZING over all the wonderful options, I decided we couldn't pass up Madera Canyon. We're going to drive into Tucson in the afternoon, try to swing by Sweetwater or the Desert Museum briefly (any votes for which?), and then spend the night in Madera Canyon so we can hopefully get some owls at night and then the morning with the birds. Any advice on where/how to look for owls there? We've never really been owling before (I have only 3 owls on my life list, and only because they sat right in front of me). I am off to Walmart now to buy a big flashlight! I need to pack lots of water and mosquito spray too, right? Anything else? Sadly the lady who booked my reservation said that the bird numbers are slightly down right now because of all the rain, but said there are still lots, plus tons of bears around.

Thanks again for all the help -- you guys were invaluable! That's why I love this forum.

In July last year I saw Elf Owl and Pygmy Owl along the road around the Santa Rita Lodge. I also heard Whiskered Screech Owl and Mexican Whippoorwill. I would just drive around, listen for calls and use your flashlight to pick out anything perched in the trees. I'm sure you'll see plenty of other good birds in that area, even if numbers are down.

I think you might be better to go to Sweetwater because I think there'll be more activity in the afternoon. You can also look for desert birds in the lower stretches of Madera Canyon (try a few stops on your way down the road in the morning), but the wetland birds of Sweetwater won't really be at Madera Canyon.

Sandrinhalee, if the choice is the Desert Museum or Sweetwater Wetlands for the afternoon, I would agree with Andrew that the wetlands would be the better choice since there is much more shade (and of course more water). From my only afternoon experience there, I would be sure not to forget that bug spray!
As fbeeldens mentioned earlier, you might also consider Mount Lemon, on the northeast side of the city. The altitude would help with the afternoon heat and the birds might be more active in the shady coves. The views are somewhat distracting if you are trying to focus only on birding.

Though we did not see any owls in Madera Canyon, I've heard that Elf Owls nest in the telephone poles near the lodge. They are probably no longer there by August.

Steve

I would also mention that the Harris's Hawks are at Sweatwater (or at least next door along the entrance road), so that alone might make a stop there worth while. If you are not used to western birds, check up the darker song sparrows etc before going, so you don't waste too much time on things that might not be interesting.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back