• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

stuarta21

I am looking to purchase a Kowa 883 in the near future, I was wondering what tripod people use or would recommend for this scope?I currently use a Velbon Sherpa 200r (part of bundle for Opticron mm3) and am keen to keep the weight down as much as is realistically possible.

Thanks in advance :t:

if you pay big money for a fine scope like the 883, a stable tripod and a good video head is a good investment,
I would suggest a tripod with a pan-base like the gitzo systematic series.

http://www.gitzo.com/systematic-series-2-carbon-tripod-long-4-section-eye-level-gt2542ls

I own a previous model and it's rock solid. (mostly used with camera gear).
I thought it would be awkward with no center column using my scope on it but I think it works well,
but it depends on your personal usage style.

A tripod with center column might be more practical for you.
I also have a lighter mountaineer tripod with center column, but its not as stable.

In any case, get a carbon fiber tripod. There are lots of alternatives these days. Personally Gitzo is my favorite.
Quite expensive but they will last a life time if you take good care of them, so it evens out in the long run.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Have had a look on Amazon Giottos Silk Road Series GYTL8353/GYTL8383 £180-200 depending on height (I'm 188cm the cheaper one extends to 171cm, the more expensive to 183cm). Very positive customer reviews too. Just need to find a head for it now! :t:

Spotting scopes place FAR higher demands on your tripod than any currently available camera lens. My main lens is the Canon 800mm F5.6, which is as long a lens as you can buy at the moment. It is absolutely fine on a 3 series Gitzo tripod (GT3530LS) yet the same tripod is only passable with my (old) Kowa TSN4! This is simply due to the far higher magnification involved.
Obviously you don't want to be carting around a huge video tripod but you will need something a bit special to get the most from your scope.
Vespobuteo is definitely on the right track in my opinion. When I need mobility I use a Gitzo GT2531 (very similar to his suggestion) but I much prefer to use my Gitzo GT3530LS or G1329 Mk2 due to their greater stability. These tripods are very expensive but they are built to last so don't be afraid to buy a secondhand one if finances are tight. My used Gitzo G1329 Mk2 cost me 100 pounds isn't too heavy and easily supports me at over 100 kilos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back