• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Cactus Wrens migrate? (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
I live on the SE side of Tucson and I haven't seen a Cactus Wren in weeks, maybe a couple months. They are thick here in the summer. Maybe I've never paid attention before but they seem to have left for the winter ???? All the literature indicates that they don't migrate.

Well, Cornell has them in the Arizona and surrounding areas year round if that helps. Not sure where you are from.

Well, Cornell has them in the Arizona and surrounding areas year round if that helps. Not sure where you are from.

I live on the SE side of Tucson and I haven't seen a Cactus Wren in weeks, maybe a couple months. They are thick here in the summer. Maybe I've never paid attention before but they seem to have left for the winter ???? All the literature indicates that they don't migrate.

I've lived here (same house) for 18 years.

Sorry, I missed that part of where you were from ;)

If it's any consolation, my feeders are not getting the numbers that they usually get. Heck, I'm usually filling them every day but not for the last few weeks. Don't know whether it's been the very cold or what.

Yes, they are in Tucson and Southern AZ all year.
That's what I thought but I haven't seen one in months. They are usually thick around my neighborhood. They were here this past summer -- nests everywhere.

All the other bird species are here: Curved-billed Thrashers, Black-throated Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Gambil's Quail, several species of Finches, Cooper's Hawks, Mourning Doves, Gila Woodpeckers, etc., etc..

My property isn't that high, maybe 2700 ft.

Sorry, I missed that part of where you were from ;)

If it's any consolation, my feeders are not getting the numbers that they usually get. Heck, I'm usually filling them every day but not for the last few weeks. Don't know whether it's been the very cold or what.
My feeders are thick with birds. Right now I bet I have 30 Lesser Goldfinches on my two thistle feeders.

The Cactus Wrens rarely ate from my feeders, being primarily insect eaters.

Oh well . . . . my worrying isn't gonna help much, is it? ;)

I have seen zero Cactus wrens in Maricopa / La Paz counties the past two weekends. I am sure they are around, but since there was little to no insect activity and almost no other flycatchers, they are all hinging out in more productive feeding grounds.

I know nothing about cactus wrens, but up in PA, some birds seem to disappear in the winter (esp. robins), but have actually just relocated away from yards and into forests. If this were an annual disappearance, then perhaps there is another habitat that might be more attractive to the cactus wrens in fall/winter ... Just a thought.

I have seen zero Cactus wrens in Maricopa / La Paz counties the past two weekends. I am sure they are around, but since there was little to no insect activity and almost no other flycatchers, they are all hinging out in more productive feeding grounds.
You may be right. And maybe I've never paid attention before. Maybe they've always moved away during these months.

I know nothing about cactus wrens, but up in PA, some birds seem to disappear in the winter (esp. robins), but have actually just relocated away from yards and into forests. If this were an annual disappearance, then perhaps there is another habitat that might be more attractive to the cactus wrens in fall/winter ... Just a thought.
I don't know. There are no forests close-by, except for up in the surrounding mountains. But I've never seen Cactus Wrens up there, ever. They are a desert bird. But, thanks for the response.

What got me to thinking about them is I haven't heard one either. They make the most unique set of noises -- it's really not right to call it bird song.

But I think they are my favorite bird here -- or at least tied with the Gambil's Quail.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back