• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geovid 8x56 (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
There seems to be a new Geovid in the 8x56 size with banana shape and Perger Prisms. Spec-wise I don't see anything interesting, apart perhaps that the dimensions are not bigger than Conquests or SLC 8x56 binoculars (unlike the 8x42 version, where the Geovid is larger than most 8x42 bins).Anyway, this thing will hardly interest birders, but good to see Leica hasn't given up on these Perger prisms.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Geovid-Range

Does anyone have any more information on Leica's assertion that the 56mm Geovid HD-B has "enhanced light transmission of around 90%" compared to the 42mm verions?

With the new Leica Geovid 8 × 56 HD-B and 8 × 56 HD-R (Typ 500) binoculars, Leica Camera AG, Wetzlar, has once again raised the bar with its successful Geovid series. These new top-of-the-range models boast outstanding lens speed thanks to a lens diameter of 56 mm and enhanced transmission of around 90%. Coupled with the HD lens design and optimised Leica aperture system, the patented Perger-Porro prisms offer outstanding suppression of stray light and maximum contrast. The Geovid 56 models are nonetheless impressively compact and are barely larger than a comparable pair of binoculars with 42 mm lenses. [/QUOTE ]

Last edited:
From left to right:

8x42 Geovid cutaway; 8x42 R; 10x42R; 8x56 HDR Perger; 8x42HDR Perger; 10x42 HDB Perger; First Generation Geovid 7x42BD.

Transmissions spectra thanks to Gijs van Ginkel.

Jan

Attachments

• L1010338.JPG
    L1010338.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 105
  • L1010336.JPG
    L1010336.JPG
    657.3 KB · Views: 112
Thanks for that! Interesting that the bigger 56mm model would appear to show a small difference between left and right barrels whereas the smaller 42mm does not. I wonder why that should be?

Jabali Hunter, post 5,
For the Zeiss Victory RF 8x45 we even measured a difference of 10% between left and right tube (that is specific for this Zeiss binocular, since Leica and Swarovski do not have such a large transmission difference between the two tubes of their range finder binoculars). It has to do with the optical construction for the incorporation of range finder optics. Leica and Swarovski could avoid such a large transmission difference, Zeiss choose not to.
Gijs van Ginkel

JabaliHunter, in addition to my post 6: I have published a test of range finder binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor and when you look at the spectra you can see what happens to ligh transmissions when a range finder is encorporated in the optical systems of the different brands.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks Gijs. I have seen the tests that you published on the House of Outdoor website, but I was unaware that you had also tested the 8x56. I was just curious as to the difference between the 42mm and 56mm models, as the charts show very little difference between left and right in the former (between 475-575nm) but a small difference in the latter. Nothing like the difference in earlier versions or the Zeiss though, as you say.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back