• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" owners experience compared to non "Plus" (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

"Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" owners experience compared to non "Plus"

Good day!

May I ask some "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" owners or those who have side by side compared the "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" to the "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD" that is the difference very visible, or just somewhat visible... ?

Is it worthy to "upgrade" to a new "7x42 Ultravid HD Plus, if one is using a "7x42 Ultravid HD" already?

Regards

Last edited:
Good day!

May I ask some "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" owners or those who have side by side compared the "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD Plus" to the "Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD" that is the difference very visible, or just somewhat visible... ?

Is it worthy to "upgrade" to a new "7x42 Ultravid HD Plus, if one is using a "7x42 Ultravid HD" already?

Regards

Hi!
No one has answered you so I'll give my two cents.:eat:

I have a Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8X42 and a Trinovid 10X42. I purchased the HD Plus simply because I had to have Leica's latest/greatest. Looking back, I think I would have enjoyed the Trinovid 8X42 just as much. And I'm thinking any Leica Ultravid HD is supposedly better than a Trinovid...So I'd say one with an Ultravid HD would be in fine shape! So no, I would NOT purchase a Ultravid HD Plus for an upgrade over an Ultravid HD.

From what I've seen there *is* a visible difference between the Ultravid HD and the HP Plus. However, I found the difference least pronounced (even though still visible) with the 7x42.

If you "need" the latest and the greatest for your peace of mind, get the HD Plus. I personally wouldn't be bothered. But then I still happily use "old" binoculars, like my Trinovid 8x32 BA dating back to 1993 ... ;)

Hermann

I have had UVHD+ in 7/8/10x42 alongside my 8x42 UVHD when I still had it, I now have a 7x42 UVHD+.

The improvement is there and easily seen IMHO.

The HD+ just has more sparkle in a high transmission way, contrast is more pronounced, more detail in deep shadows gets through, its a slightly cooler view, and brighter in challenging light.

There`s also more click stops in the eye cups.

Is it worth upgrading ?, probably not in terms of value, but now I`v got a HD+, I could`nt give up the extra punch it delivers.

John.

In my opinion, if you're seeking the best possible viewing experience, yes, it's worth upgrading to an HD Plus. I have owned 7x42 Trinovid BA and BN, Ultravid BR, HD, and HD Plus, and the view through the HD Plus is by far the best of the lot. As Torview said, "The HD+ just has more sparkle in a high transmission way, contrast is more pronounced, more detail in deep shadows gets through, its a slightly cooler view, and brighter in challenging light." I couldn't have said it better.

Perhaps some users wouldn't notice the difference, or possibly care if they did, but for my money the 7x42 HD Plus makes quite a difference.

In my opinion, if you're seeking the best possible viewing experience, yes, it's worth upgrading to an HD Plus. I have owned 7x42 Trinovid BA and BN, Ultravid BR, HD, and HD Plus, and the view through the HD Plus is by far the best of the lot. As Torview said, "The HD+ just has more sparkle in a high transmission way, contrast is more pronounced, more detail in deep shadows gets through, its a slightly cooler view, and brighter in challenging light." I couldn't have said it better.

Perhaps some users wouldn't notice the difference, or possibly care if they did, but for my money the 7x42 HD Plus makes quite a difference.

My 7x42 HDs work for me. And I have got by with some real crap bins in my birding past { 45 years and some }

My 7x42 HDs work for me. And I have got by with some real crap bins in my birding past { 45 years and some }

I can't imagine a huge difference between non-plus and plus. I'm loving my new 7x42+, but have a good feeling I'd likewise be just fine with the previous 7x42 UV. All the specs are the same and when you go from 8x to 7x CA should be a little less evident. I guess the new glass is a nice little improvement, but I'm sure the view through the old 7x42 HD is still very nice.

Last edited:
"We compared a Leica Ultravid HD side by side with the new Ultravid HD Plus. We did see that the whites looked slightly whiter through the HD Plus. Although we could not actually resolve measurably finer detail, the subjective impression of sharpness seemed enhanced."

Comparing the Top Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss Binoculars 2015, Bird Watchers' Digest, Reproduced by permission by birdwatching.com at http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2015_titans/review.html

The New Leica HD Plus' came in third to the Zeiss SF (1st) and Swarovision EL's (2nd) both in the 8X42 comparison and 10x42 comparison although the Leica's were the most compact and lightest. Most of the Leica's comparative shortcomings were so close as to be of little consequence with the exception of edge sharpness and a dramatic field-of-view difference with the Zeiss (FOV Leica 8X = 389 vs. Zeiss 8X= 444) (FOV Leica 10X 336 vs. Zeiss 10X 360).

Last edited:
"We compared a Leica Ultravid HD side by side with the new Ultravid HD Plus. We did see that the whites looked slightly whiter through the HD Plus. Although we could not actually resolve measurably finer detail, the subjective impression of sharpness seemed enhanced."

Comparing the Top Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss Binoculars 2015, Bird Watchers' Digest, Reproduced by permission by birdwatching.com at http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2015_titans/review.html

The New Leica HD Plus' came in third to the Zeiss SF (1st) and Swarovision EL's (2nd) both in the 8X42 comparison and 10x42 comparison although the Leica's were the most compact and lightest. Most of the Leica's comparative shortcomings were so close as to be of little consequence with the exception of edge sharpness and a dramatic field-of-view difference with the Zeiss (FOV Leica 8X = 389 vs. Zeiss 8X= 444) (FOV Leica 10X 336 vs. Zeiss 10X 360).

"although the Leica's were the most compact and lightest."

So if you value small size and weight more than edge sharpness and field of view, then the Leica comes in first place, right?

"although the Leica's were the most compact and lightest."

So if you value small size and weight more than edge sharpness and field of view, then the Leica comes in first place, right?

I compared the SV, SF and UV HD+ 10X42 side by side and liked the Leica for the build quality and compactness. I then bought an UV 10X42 on sale as I couldn't see much difference between HD and HD+ to pay $500 more.

In my experience the HD+ starts to show off the benefits of the HT glass when the light levels drop or the weather is grey and miserable.

I'll buy that.

I've been comparing the 8X42 Trinovid and 8X42 HD Plus here lately. The only true differences I can see between those two is...a little more glare in the Trinovid(while wearing glasses), a little more eye relief with the UV HD +, and the Trinovid weighs a little more. I have not compared those two in low light.

Comparing HD and HD+, I see a big optical difference, specially in CA.
Ultravid HD is the same as non HD, and in my opinion, not at alpha CA level.
In Ultravid HD+, whites are whiter and black is black, not dark grey. CA is like Zeiss FL.
And the same about light trasmition, now Leica is at alpha level.

I can't imagine a huge difference between non-plus and plus. I'm loving my new 7x42+, but have a good feeling I'd likewise be just fine with the previous 7x42 UV. All the specs are the same and when you go from 8x to 7x CA should be a little less evident. I guess the new glass is a nice little improvement, but I'm sure the view through the old 7x42 HD is still very nice.

Perfect summary, I think. However, with the 8x and the 10x the differences between the HD and the HD Plus are more obvious in my opinion. The 7x42 was always a very nice pair, so there may well have been less scope for improvement with the HD Plus.

Hermann

Perfect summary, I think. However, with the 8x and the 10x the differences between the HD and the HD Plus are more obvious in my opinion. The 7x42 was always a very nice pair, so there may well have been less scope for improvement with the HD Plus.

Hermann

That makes sense. I'd like to look through the 10x42+ sometime.

I compared the SV, SF and UV HD+ 10X42 side by side and liked the Leica for the build quality and compactness. I then bought an UV 10X42 on sale as I couldn't see much difference between HD and HD+ to pay $500 more.

My problem is I have nowhere to do such a side-by-side comparison. I even went in B&H Photo in NYC and whilst they had all three in stock, only one was in the display case to fiddle with.

Where does one go to try these three alphas in the same place?

My problem is I have nowhere to do such a side-by-side comparison. I even went in B&H Photo in NYC and whilst they had all three in stock, only one was in the display case to fiddle with.

dw

Perhaps your best bet would be to keep an internet-eye open for birding and hunting shows such as SHOT and Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival. These have just finished but I would think there are others (such as Mid-West Birding and Rio Grande Birding) and big names like Zeiss, Swaro, Leica and Meopta often have booths showing their products off.

Lee

dw

Perhaps your best bet would be to keep an internet-eye open for birding and hunting shows such as SHOT and Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival. These have just finished but I would think there are others (such as Mid-West Birding and Rio Grande Birding) and big names like Zeiss, Swaro, Leica and Meopta often have booths showing their products off.

Lee

Thanks!

The Cabela's store near me had 10X42 models in the Zeiss SF, the Swaro EL SV and Leica Ultrivid HD (old model) in at the same time. It may not be the exact combo you are looking for but it should get you close.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back