• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

orkney birding (1 Viewer)

RSPB loons & Loch of banks

I had a quick spin to the hides on each of these reserves today after work. Just a quick thirty minute watch at each. At the loch of Banks The air was full of Lapwings displaying and defending their teratories against all comers. Hugely entertaining with the rise and fall flight and noisey encounters. Coots paddled to and fro with nesting matierel and Moorhens skulked around the banks. A breeding pair of Wigeon showed well right in front of the hide with the male paddling around whistling like a football referee. Stock Dove were picking away on the far side of the water and in the distance a dozen Graylag were hanging out. No long flight to Iceland fot these fellas as thay have nothing but a bit of good loveing on their minds. Redshank were in good numbers wading around ocasionaly taking to the air with their pleepy crys. Six Mallard were in view. along with a pair of Shellduck. A dozen Curlew were in sight all the time with menny in the air bubbling away.A small number of Oyster Catcher were in the distance. The wee bird list was small though with two Reed Bunting and a few Mippit displaying. Skylark could be heard in the distance. All these numbers are but the tip of the iceberg and an there lot more is out there.out of view of the hide. If your there its worth a walk along the road to see a bigger area!
At the Loons hide three diffrent groups of birders came and went with in the thirty minutes. It was there a plesant change from winter time. This is another hide overlooking a wetland area. A Heron took off as i set up. 2pr of Wigeon were moving about feeding along with 2pr of Tuffted 3 Graylag 2 Mute Swan nesting right in front of the hide [should be intresting] A pair of Shoveler were feeding together with another male skulking about obviously with bad intentions. After a while something put all three up and a mid air dispute erupted mutch to the delight of all the obsevers.thay circled for a bit and returned to the pool where a huge disagreement ensued .It ended uith the would be usurper leaving with his tail well and truely between his legs. A Snipe briefly displayed wth a wee drum and then was silent Reed Buntings were about with one dropping into the reeds and one flying across the front of the hide. The rest of the usual suspects were there in force with Lapwing and Curlew doth displaying strongly. Redshank picked away around the waters edge. 9 BH Gull sat about dooing little and there was 8 Mallard in sight. So thirty minutes and that was that its a shame no raptors appeared as its a good sight for Hen harriers Merlin Perigrine and SE Owl .and when these appear and put every thing up its truely a sight to behold.
Untill next time
Oh yea there was a Ringed Ouzel on widford a few days ago and a Chifchaf on Hoy[Berridale ]to day. Swallows around the Stenness hillside today

Dafi, I must add my pleasure at hearing you are to continue posting. I feel sure that there are more people all over the world who are reading your posts than you realise. They are all the MORE important because you are the only one reporting from there.
I will reply to your PM shortly

Regards Timedrifter

Dafi, I must add my pleasure at hearing you are to continue posting. I feel sure that there are more people all over the world who are reading your posts than you realise. They are all the MORE important because you are the only one reporting from there.
I will reply to your PM shortly

Regards Timedrifter

Hi Dafi,

I think TD's post says it all as you just never know how many folk are reading your reports on a daily basis, but just don't bother to reply to them. Some viewers might only be guests and in that case, they CAN'T post.

I thoroughly enjoyed the report above Dafi and could 'see' the commotion that happened when they all went up. Almost hear the drumming Snipe and Redshanks with their magical call, they always remind me a little of Curlews and I love to see those white trailing wings as they whip across land or water - beautiful.

Thanks again Dafi, a really great report!

Sue.

Hi Dafi, Good call. I for one have enjoyed your orkney thread. I've been over there a few times and always enjoyed my visits. Must come back some time soon, it's only a short ferry journey from Thurso.
Cheers,
Iain

hi Iain good to hear from you why not come over for a look and the big spin about. i might even come over there for a look and visit old haunts. i used to live out on dunnet head and my brother out at castletown a realy nice place. drop us a PM if you fancy it and we will see what we can arange.

hi Iain good to hear from you why not come over for a look and the big spin about. i might even come over there for a look and visit old haunts. i used to live out on dunnet head and my brother out at castletown a realy nice place. drop us a PM if you fancy it and we will see what we can arange.
Thanks Dafi, sounds like a plan, the first BF orkney bash. I'll work something out and let you know.
Cheers

Roseness first time

I have just returned from Roseness a headland on the east end off Holm This is a brand new area for me as its always been fairly closed access and visitors were ‘discouraged’. However the land owner has opened a new Land Management Path so now there is a shore walk around the headland.
To get there drive past st Nicholas church the road goes left and past Ducrow the paths on the next corner. There is room to park two cars with out blocking the gates. Follow the path to the cliff and you can go left along the high cliffs to Stembister or right to Roseness . This way takes you along the east side and as I was looking for migrants this was the side for me.
A quick scan of the sea produces a raft of common gull a load of Eider a few Guillemot a dozen Black Guillemot Fulmar glide along the cliff faces . As the bay of Semolie ends and the ground rises there is a noticeable change in the grass under foot the monoculture of grazing gives way to the infinitely more diverse maritime heat that borders the cliff with a central area of short heather and crowberry dotted with peaty pools lapwing and curlew make there presence heard and starlings seem to be everywhere
Even though its damp and drizzly its not helping me as im to late in the day. If any migrants were here they were long gone the wet had arrived to late to hold them on the ground. I decide to go as far as the light house. The cliff line is punctuated with deep Geos [these are inlets cut into the cliffs by the sea]. Floating off shore from each Geo is its summer population of black guillemots these lovely little things with there red mouths and feet can be heard for a good distance calling each other. They have a really high pitched whistle of a call that seems to verge on the ultra sonic. These birds will occupy the rabbit holes around the cliff tops for nesting and soon any hole in the ground will be in big demand here. Moving on from Tur Geo I head to the hole of Ness not realising its there. I’m moving along watching lapwing on the ground close in and a bonxie in the distance when the ground opens up in front of me in a large Gloup . Now a Gloup is where a sea cave has had its roof collapse leaving a huge hole and a tunnel to the open sea. This is extremely dangerous with crumbling edges and a drop of seventy feet. This is also a magnet for exhausted migrants in dirty weather. Not productive to day but worth a look again.
Moving on again flushes a Pied Wagtail and then a male Wheatear. Small birds are not much in evidence. But a bonxie is heading towards me ,as I look it is set upon by a hoodie then a lapwing it twists a bit and lands on north cairn. This is [I think] an old burial mound that resembles a mini volcano from past excavations. From there I pass pantie Geo where there is some interesting geology it looks like a basalt intrusion or dyke in the red sand stone. Then on to the tower. This is a large stone tower. All I know about it is it gave cover to see forteen graylag geese. Part of our growing breeding population. While here a snipe drummed a few times but wasn’t heard again. From here I go to the wee light house and on to the cliff top rocks. The black rock is like ice asiI pick my way forward to watch the sea for a half hour. I see no Cetaceans at all only three seals out on the water black guillies are paired up shags dive and eider move around waters edge. Its damp and quiet. I retrace my steps back . this is going to be a fantastic place to come at the right time. An early summers evening with sea birds and moorland birds all giving it lalldey. I cant wait I might be back before that for the stunning shore walk though.

On the way back I took in Graemeshall loch and was lucky enough to get a brief glimpse of the Gargeny and great views of the Marsh harrier. It was the first one iv seen since leaving kent. Excellent if your out that way have a look it’s a beauty.

Swallows much more in evidence today still in ones and twos.

dafi ! - I love your reports from the northern land - It seems an amazing and rugged place. I am going to have to go over there and bug you one of these years - lol - Keep the reports coming dude, beautiful stuff !

Another great report of your time there Dafi, even if it wasn't too productive. I'm pleased you typed in the meanings for the Geos and Gloups (that would have terrified me!), though it's good to also learn a few of the local ones. I think the Eider would have made that so special for me, along with the Fulmars and Guillimots, such gorgeous little things.

I hope you do go back again when there's more there, for your sake as well as ours. I'm taking these place names in, just imagine what trade you're drumming up for Orkney for the future, let alone your own pleasure, as well as holding us spellbound too!

Thanks a lot for that Dafi, an awful lot of valuable information there.

Sue.

Should be absloute rakes to see there Mick. It might be a bit early but pack the midgie protection!!!

Dave and I may appear in July too, hope there is much to see!

[Oh wait, dafi, did you say something about bugs? I don't care for bugs, but they sure seem to like me. Fact is we've got some mean insects here in July too! No escaping them! Scared...]

Last edited:
I use citronella oil when im fishing, the mozzies wont go near it. The trouble is, its fairly potent stuff. And people give you a few funny looks, but who cares about that when your in danger of being eaten alive. The essential oil is a bit strong to put straight on, so drip a few drops on to the roller of an adult jungle formula and roll them on together, providing you dont miss any, its 100% effective. I ware light golfing waterproofs too, which they cant get through (unlike cotton trousers) so you only have to cover your hands and neck and face. Mick

The essential oil is a bit strong to put straight on, so drip a few drops on to the roller of an adult jungle formula and roll them on together, providing you dont miss any, its 100% effective. I ware light golfing waterproofs too, which they cant get through (unlike cotton trousers) so you only have to cover your hands and neck and face. Mick

Hi Michael,

I'm very interested in your citronella use, but do I read it rightly that you use a roll-on version of the Jungle Formula and put a few drops of the citronella on to the roller part of it?

We've tried Avon's 'Skin so soft' but with going to the Great Glen a fair bit and especially to Loch Loy where it literally teems with them in showery/sunny periods, you need something pretty special to keep the little beggars at bay. We usually end up diving out to do what we want, then running like the clappers back to the car....which can get pretty thick with them too at times!

What would North West Scotland be without them though!:frog:

Sue.

Aye there a pest right enough. still its a good while to midgie season yet.
A little preperation is worth a thousand woes.

Bzzzzzz...waiting for a new report, Dafi!

Thanks for the tips Michael. I need all I can get, I think my fair skin makes me a serious target. Still scared, but less so!

Kristina

Bzzzzzz...waiting for a new report, Dafi!

Thanks for the tips Michael. I need all I can get, I think my fair skin makes me a serious target. Still scared, but less so!

Kristina

Tis only the females you need to watch Kristina.....trouble is..trying to sex them before they get you!o:D

Sue.

just out at the Piedie sea and saw low slung diver to far off to tell with out bims. but saw artic terns there for the first time this year. Loads of wheatear around Marwick last night. any body else seen puffins?

Black throated diver tonight off Hunda along side the fish farm cages showing well in summer plumage.
two Whimbrel seen on the shore. seven counted yesterday over Kirkwall. Lots of passage movement at the moment. listen for the calls.

Last edited:
Oooh I do envy you with those beautiful sights to see Dafi, I love Black-throated Divers, Reds too and any species of Tern. No sign of Puffin down on the nearest coast to us, that's why we're looking forward to getting back up to Handa Is to see them there....so long as it doesn't get rained off as it did last year when it tipped it down for a good 2 or 3 days.

I'm pleased you're keeping up with those sightings Daf, letting us all know about them to! Happy viewings!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back