• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velvet Ant Sicily (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

Seen today in SE Sicily.

I assume some type of Velvet Ant.

Can anyone confirm please and put a name to it.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1539630455124-1_0.JPEG
    1539630455124-1_0.JPEG
    177.6 KB · Views: 54
Certainly a velvet ant, and a nice one, but I have no idea what species are here. I grew up knowing just the one species in the UK, but I am sure there are others.

Looks like one of the Pristomutilla species but being an African species I'm not sure whether they are found in Sicily!

Shane

Certainly a velvet ant, and a nice one, but I have no idea what species are here. I grew up knowing just the one species in the UK, but I am sure there are others.

Did you read Scilly too......?

Here's one I had in Russia and never identified to species.

Attachments

• 20150701083439656.jpg
    20150701083439656.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The one from Sicily belongs in genus Ronisia, and it's most likely Ronisia brutia (the top of the head, the vertex, seems to be red, but the photo is not clear on that respect: it should be extensively red in brutia).
The one from Russia might be Mutilla marginata, but a dorsal view would be (ideally) needed in this case.

The one from Sicily belongs in genus Ronisia, and it's most likely Ronisia brutia (the top of the head, the vertex, seems to be red, but the photo is not clear on that respect: it should be extensively red in brutia).
The one from Russia might be Mutilla marginata, but a dorsal view would be (ideally) needed in this case.
Thank you Rafael

I attach another photo showing the red on the head.

Seems like brutia is the right one

Attachments

• 1539848169292_20181018_094539020.jpg
    1539848169292_20181018_094539020.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 25
Definitely brutia, the additional photo is clear and leaves no doubt. Great find and I'm a bit jealous, as we don't get that species in Portugal (it reaches Catalonia, but not further west).

Did you read Scilly too......?

Here's one I had in Russia and never identified to species.

Yes :-C

But then I realized that my comment still works...sort of...maybe I can claim insanity on the "my home country is the only country" mindset and get by.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back