• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Micro four Thirds lens manufacturers (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
According to dpreview, both Carl Zeiss and Schneider Kreuznach have joined the Micro Four Thirds group recently:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020718zeissjoinsmicrfourthirds.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11020405schneiderkreuznachmicrofourthirds.asp

I don't know what lenses they intend releasing in this mount, but it's good news for the future of it. I assume Micro Four Thirds lenses can be used on four Thirds cameras with an adapter?

As far as I have understood it is more the other way -- regular 4/3 on micro with an adapter

Niels

As far as I have understood it is more the other way -- regular 4/3 on micro with an adapter

Niels
Yes, of course you're right, so not much use to most of us. I'm not holding my breath to see if the new manufacturers will do 4/3 as well.

I'm not sure Olympus's Micro 4/3 cameras are that suitable for bird photography. I wonder if they'll ever do an equivalent to Panasonic's G1.

I do not think you can mount m43 lenses on 43 cameras at all, only 43 on m43 with an adapter.

Happy to be wrong. Either way, it is great that two makers of fabulous lenses are or will be making for m43. With Leica already there, that means the world's best makers are all going for m43.:t:

Sony today announced they will be disclosing their mount specifications to "E-mount" for no fee, great news for those using sony micro four thirds. Details here.

Very smart on thier part in my opinion, more people likely to choose them as they will have better lens choices.

I'm not sure Olympus's Micro 4/3 cameras are that suitable for bird photography. [/QUOTE]

i don't see why i got these two shots taken with the EPL1

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/336723/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/348589/ppuser/71763

the first one is with the Zuiko 70-300mm mounted with the 4/3 adapter and a its tiny flash worked fine as it was rather close.

the other one i got it with the bigma, not very happy with it as i forgot to make the ev to zero so it was a bit dark and i could not fix it with PSE.

i think it will work fine with Lumix's 100-300mm fast m4/3 lens, and a real good kit for one who like to travel light, yet not use the chance to get some shots for birds.

Good to see it can be done (although the second one says it was taken with an E-620). I assume you were using an EVF? How is it compared to a mirror system? How many pixels?

Later edit: I take that comment back now that I've read a few postings about using the EVF with manual focus lenses. People seem to think it's excellent for that. I had written off Olympus Micro 4/3 after the EPL came out, because of the lack of EVF, and haven't followed later developments.

Last edited:
Good to see it can be done (although the second one says it was taken with an E-620).

no my friend the second one was taken with the EPL1 what i wrote on the post was wrong, i will correct it right away.

but i have to note that it took me sometime to get comfortable with the digital viewfinder, but i am not 100% comfortable with it, specially for closeups, as right now at my age i am starting to get sharper long distance sight, but for close distance i am still not happy with the result.

BTW i do most of my focusing manually.

but i have to note that it took me sometime to get comfortable with the digital viewfinder, but i am not 100% comfortable with it, specially for closeups, as right now at my age i am starting to get sharper long distance sight, but for close distance i am still not happy with the result.

BTW i do most of my focusing manually.
The dioptre doesn't correct enough for you? I've heard of people adding viewfinder magnifiers to help with that. Would one fit on your camera?

Does that camera magnify the view while you're manually focusing? I found that most useful with my Canon S3, vastly better than an optical viewfinder magnifier because of the very high magnification, and able to be switched instantly back to 1x, although the viewfinder resolution was still too low. What is the resolution of your EPL1's viewfinder?

I am a bit of a fan of electronic viewfinders, and I think they could replace mirror systems if their resolution is high enough. They have great advantages in being able to stabilise, magnify and brighten the view, and to display the result of the exposure, etc.

Does that camera blank out the viewfinder between shots like many compact cameras do? I.e is it usable for birds in flight?

The dioptre doesn't correct enough for you? i am not sure have not done enough work to be positive with any answer, i mostly do videos and they usually turn out fine.

I've heard of people adding viewfinder magnifiers to help with that. Would one fit on your camera? would love to know more about this.

Does that camera magnify the view while you're manually focusing? No same thisng, but i have to say that the IQ in this viewfinder is way better than the one on SP550UZ and the SP590UZ, but an old timer like me it will take time to get comfortable with it.

I found that most useful with my Canon S3, vastly better than an optical viewfinder magnifier because of the very high magnification, and able to be switched instantly back to 1x, although the viewfinder resolution was still too low. What is the resolution of your EPL1's viewfinder? have no idea let me check.

I am a bit of a fan of electronic viewfinders, and I think they could replace mirror systems if their resolution is high enough. They have great advantages in being able to stabilise, magnify and brighten the view, and to display the result of the exposure, etc. OK these are enough reasons for me to chance my opinion i hated them.

Does that camera blank out the viewfinder between shots like many compact cameras do? I.e is it usable for birds in flight? yes and that is the most annoying thing in it but i think this can be changed fro the setting, but i am too lazy to read the manual.

have my answers in front of your questions.

Last edited:
I've heard of people adding viewfinder magnifiers to help with that. Would one fit on your camera? would love to know more about this.

I think you can get dioptre correction lenses to fit onto the viewfinder of, say, your E-620, like a viewfinder magnifier. I wear glasses, so I don't need any more correction, so I've never investigated them. I've no idea if they can fit the VF-2, but the picture in the manual looks like it wouldn't. Built in correction is -3 to +1.

Does that camera magnify the view while you're manually focusing?

No same thisng, but i have to say that the IQ in this viewfinder is way better than the one on SP550UZ and the SP590UZ, but an old timer like me it will take time to get comfortable with it.
I just downloaded the EPL1 manual, and there is an option called MF Assist (p44 and 72). When enabled, the viewfinder should magnify the image as soon as you start manually focusing. Hopefully it isn't only for M 4/3 lenses.

I would hope it would work for old manual lenses too, but I see no mention of that. I would think it would need an electronic connection to the lens to know that you have started turning it. I found some references to a "Direct Magnify" button, and using it with manual lenses, but I see nothing about it in the manual.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Olympus's Micro 4/3 cameras are that suitable for bird photography.

i don't see why i got these two shots taken with the EPL1

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/336723/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/348589/ppuser/71763

the first one is with the Zuiko 70-300mm mounted with the 4/3 adapter and a its tiny flash worked fine as it was rather close.

the other one i got it with the bigma, not very happy with it as i forgot to make the ev to zero so it was a bit dark and i could not fix it with PSE.

i think it will work fine with Lumix's 100-300mm fast m4/3 lens, and a real good kit for one who like to travel light, yet not use the chance to get some shots for birds.

Great bird shots there with the Pen..have got some good ones too with the E-P1 but i've never really managed to get a bird that's not stationary for long.

Regards.

Great bird shots there with the Pen..have got some good ones too with the E-P1 but i've never really managed to get a bird that's not stationary for long.

Regards.

you know you are so right i have notice that the AF with my EPL1 is really slow but i thought that was because i am using the bigma. but you know i don't care i only use manual focus.

you know you are so right i have notice that the AF with my EPL1 is really slow but i thought that was because i am using the bigma. but you know i don't care i only use manual focus.
Without a mirror it must use contrast detection, always slower than phase detection. Hopefully it's at least faster than the contrast detection of a compact camera?

Have you tried the tracking focus mode?

Without a mirror it must use contrast detection, always slower than phase detection.

Several reviews state that the AF speed of Pana GH using contrast detection is faster than several mirror systems with phase detection.

Niels

Without a mirror it must use contrast detection, always slower than phase detection. Hopefully it's at least faster than the contrast detection of a compact camera?

Have you tried the tracking focus mode?

thanks my friend for clearing that, the Bigma is also slow with the E 620, only realized this when i got the Sigma 70-200/f2.8 now that was really fast and much better in AF.

but as i said before with the Bigma i don't care, i only use manual focus check this. i just wish i had the one stop more for the ISO. so i could get more than 1/1250 sec and sharper details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/5453943965/

thanks my friend for clearing that, the Bigma is also slow with the E 620, only realized this when i got the Sigma 70-200/f2.8 now that was really fast and much better in AF.
If it's slow on the E-620 too then that's different. Is it any faster than on the EP? And how does the new lens compare in speed on each camera?

Contrast detection is inherently more difficult than phase detection AF, but it seems it can be faster than it is now. Maybe it's limited by processing speed and how fast the lens can move (because contrast detection involves more trial and error), and those things can be improved. But it doesn't matter which is faster, only which is fast enough, and njlarsen has implied that the Panasonic GH might be fast enough.

but as i said before with the Bigma i don't care, i only use manual focus check this. i just wish i had the one stop more for the ISO. so i could get more than 1/1250 sec and sharper details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/5453943965/
Yes, we always need more. One reason I upgraded from S3 to E-520 was for more ISO, but because the S3 with TC had equivalent focal length of over 700mm at f3.5, I barely got one effective stop of speed.

I really hope Olympus comes up with a better sensor one day. I read of people using some Canons and Nikons at ISO 128000 with good results. I know they have less pixel density, but that's not the whole story. Imagine what we can do with a couple more stops.

At what point will we stop wishing for more ISO? If we got several more stops, would we be happy with what we have, or would we switch to slower lenses and maybe even back to compacts. A compact with a few more stops of ISO could be really nice.

At what point will we stop wishing for more ISO? If we got several more stops, would we be happy with what we have, or would we switch to slower lenses and maybe even back to compacts. A compact with a few more stops of ISO could be really nice.

Had superzooms continued to improve in iso instead of in pixels, then I would have upgraded to a newer superzoom instead of going for GH2 + 100-300. Imagine if the FZ18 had been improved 3-4 stops, staying at 8 mpix? I would have bought one. But I guess the strategy of Pana paid off, I am moving to their more expensive option.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back