• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AV input into laptop (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Does anyone know how to connect the AV input from a digital camera into a laptop? The laptop has one input (yellow) and the AV lead from the camera has red and yellow, but once connected, I'm not sure how to actually see the camera output.
It's for a digiscoping experiment and may be of use to others if it works...
Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Hope this isn't too disappointing for you but I think the yellow jack on the laptop is video out - for connecting to a TV or digital projector for instance.

I think that you'd need to buy another piece of kit ...

Cheers,

Andy.

AH, that would explain the not-working bit...
I can do the thing I wanted with a portable tv then I guess.

In that case, does anyone know if it's at all possible to connect up through the USB cable so that you can see the screen?
It's just that I have a works laptop already, but I'd have to buy a mini-TV...

Can't you simply connect a card reader to the laptop via a USB cable? That's what I do to download my photos whether laptop or desk top. You can then view the photos on the card on the laptop screen - just open your photo software and browse to the card reader folder and you show be able to view the photos.

If the camera itself has a USB connection then you don't need the card reader - just plug in the camera via USB and browse to the camera folder - it should show as an extra hard drive. You can view the photos direct to the camera that way.

Oh, sorry, what I meant was to use the camera as a high quality webcam. If you connect the av lead then instead of the image appearing on the lcd screen on the back of the camera in a less-than-glorious 2" size, you can instead have it at a almost-life-size 15".
Which makes focussing a scope a lot easier...
By the look of it, I have to get a TV card or somesuch thing. Looks like being about £35 at best.
Hmm....

colonelboris said:
Oh, sorry, what I meant was to use the camera as a high quality webcam. If you connect the av lead then instead of the image appearing on the lcd screen on the back of the camera in a less-than-glorious 2" size, you can instead have it at a almost-life-size 15".
Which makes focussing a scope a lot easier...
By the look of it, I have to get a TV card or somesuch thing. Looks like being about £35 at best.
Hmm....

Yup, I had a go at doing this with my old Nikon 8800 when I wanted to try some astrophotography. I used a Hauppauge USB TV device - cost was about £40.

The problem was the delay on the display. It was only about 0.5 seconds but it was very annoying.

I used to use an old digital camera as a web cam as well and yes you do need a TV/video card. I'm not sure how much it will benefit things though as the image will be larger but the resolution is lower ie. softer than viewing a photo on the laptop or LCD. It's worth experimenting with.

Hi Tony, What camera are you using? I have a Canon A70 and it connects to my computer by USB cable. Canon include Remote Capture software in the standard package. This gives a live web cam image and you can zoom, change white balance, ISO, effects etc. You can take interval shots until the storage runs out but as the photos are saved to the computer that can be thousands of pics. I've just looked at mine and there is space for 6145 on my hard drive !!! Most Canon cameras include this software including their DSLRs. Only real drawback is a delay from clicking "release" to taking the picture, about 3 seconds. Might be better on the latest cameras as mine is 3 years old & Canon have new proccessing software now. Regards Pete.

Forgot to say, the image on my 17" monitor is 3.5" X 2.5" and it does not require a TV card just standard graphics card. Pete

Hmm, 0.5 second delay could make that a bit annoying.
I've plugged the camera into my home TV and the picture quality is not too shabby - I still think it's be a lot easier to get the focussing on the larger screen.
The camera I have is a Vivitar Vivicam 3945. It's not a pacth on the new vivicam my wife bought this month, but it's usuable. The real limiting factor I have is the extreme crappiness of my scope.
I've been playing with some ideas on another thread - if you'd all care to look and pass judgement, I'd appreciate the input...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=60700

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back