• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2018 (2 Viewers)

Guernsey list for the year....
- Bottlenose dolphin
- Grey Seal
- House Mouse
- Wood Mouse
- Guernsey Vole
- Greater White-toothed shrew
- Hedgehog

I've not had a ferret yet this year but they are (unfortunately) around the orchard at the moment.

Here's a video of GWTS I took earlier in the year....
https://instagram.com/p/Big94ofABlA/

We've had some researchers over looking at Guernsey vole and they tried live trapping the orchard but didn't do as well as we hoped (probably as I'd mowed it a couple of weeks prior and everything was sticking to the margins as a result) but did get some shrews....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjcbZ1mAJZy/

Some recent sightings, Kashmir goats on the Great Orme, Red Squirrel, roe deer at Loch of the Lowes and a local fox.

Attachments

• DSC_7962.JPG
    DSC_7962.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_7890.JPG
    DSC_7890.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Red Squirrel.JPG
    Red Squirrel.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Roe Deer (3).JPG
    Roe Deer (3).JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Red Fox.JPG
    Red Fox.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 49
And a few more from Scotland - Argyll Pine Marten, Hedgehog and Bank vole.

Not to bad considering the torrential rain during the watch.

Mark

Attachments

• Pine Marten (4).JPG
    Pine Marten (4).JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Pine Marten (8).JPG
    Pine Marten (8).JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Hedgehog.JPG
    Hedgehog.JPG
    707.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Bank Vole (2).JPG
    Bank Vole (2).JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 51
And an excellent show from the Chanonry Point Dolphins

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_2162.JPG
    DSC_2162.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Bottle Nosed Dolphin (13).JPG
    Bottle Nosed Dolphin (13).JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Bottle Nosed Dolphin (24).JPG
    Bottle Nosed Dolphin (24).JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Bottle Nosed Dolphin (7).JPG
    Bottle Nosed Dolphin (7).JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi all. Apologies for the BOC shot but I took this photo this morning and assumed it was a Mouflon. Am I correct? Taken in Spain on the Costa Del Sol.

Cheers,

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_524118.jpg
    IMG_524118.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 62
Shetland Stuff
Some amazing stuff in Shetland the Orca are amazing and bumped into the long staying bearded seal as well.

Mark

Attachments

• Bearded Seal (6).jpg
    Bearded Seal (6).jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0290.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_9624.jpg
    DSC_9624.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 53
4 more Spanish Ibex this week, and Barbary Ape and Common Dolphin on Saturday. Also saw a ruddy big Shearwater in the Straits of Gibraltar. Closest I could get with the Colin's Guide was Scopoli's. Favoured this species over Cory's due to location.

Rich

Haven't done much lately but the second of a couple of trips to Titchfield Haven yielded a brief but good view of a Water Vole on the reserve. I'm aware they are also seen up at the top end from the public footpath but this one was between West Hide and Pumfrett Hide from a wooden footbridge.

Other than that the foxes continue to visit more or less nightly.

John

1&2 White Tip
3 Big Whitey
4&5 Water Vole, Titchfield Haven, Hampshire

Attachments

• 20180730 (4)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20180730 (4)_Red_Fox.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180731 (8)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20180731 (8)_Red_Fox.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180801 (1)_Red_Fox.JPG
    20180801 (1)_Red_Fox.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180805 (6).JPG
    20180805 (6).JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180805 (7).JPG
    20180805 (7).JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 56
Had a trip down to Devon on Saturday with Maz, principally for mammals but took in Cirl Buntings at Labrador Bay RSPB in the morning: saw about 30 with no effort at all.

Then a nice pub lunch in the Kings Arms at Otterton before a long and unfortunately unsuccessful stakeout of the River Otter Beavers - admittedly we didn't stay into dusk. We did see a pair of Dippers on the shoal below the lodge pool for about half an hour and a Kingfisher that teased us for ages before eventually sitting in the open (not all that close) for a few minutes.

After that it was off to a private site the location of which is the owner's secret, for Hazel Dormice. It was gone midnight before two of them turned up on his bird feeder and gave us some very nice views while they gorged on sunflower seeds, which they husked in the feeder before scuttling up into the tree to eat them. Hazel Dormice are the cutest animals in Britain. One of the two was already as fat as butter and will have no difficulty hibernating :eek!:

On the way home I ran out of steam and kipped for a couple of hours, so we got home at 0600 Sunday and went to bed till 1030.

John

1 & 2 Hazel Dormouse

Attachments

• 20180819 (1)_Hazel_Dormouse.JPG
    20180819 (1)_Hazel_Dormouse.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180819 (2)_Hazel_Dormouse.JPG
    20180819 (2)_Hazel_Dormouse.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 58
Further to the above I had a quick look on google for info on Hazel Dormouse life cycle, and it appears that most litters are born in July and August. Silly boy me, I had assumed they would come out earlier in the season.

I therefore assume that the fat looking Dormouse on the feeder is not achieving early readiness for hibernation but is a very very pregnant female.

John

Last week I was on the coast of Maine, USA. Off a rocky peninsula, Schoodic Point, I saw a ruckus of gulls and cormorants. I pointed my camera and zoomed. There were also common dolphins there too. I didnt' get great shots. Most of the time the dolphins had gone under again before I could click. I believe that there were three. Certaibnly two from other photos.

But a couple pictures here. On the left photo zoomed out a bit the dolphin is middle upper left. The right zoomed in more

The puzzle of course is what would attract all these critters to one spot? A school of fish? A school of squid?

Attachments

• 2018 08 13 14 26 34.JPG
    2018 08 13 14 26 34.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 2018 08 13 14 27 57.JPG
    2018 08 13 14 27 57.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Last week I was on the coast of Maine, USA. Off a rocky peninsula, Schoodic Point, I saw a ruckus of gulls and cormorants. I pointed my camera and zoomed. There were also common dolphins there too. I didnt' get great shots. Most of the time the dolphins had gone under again before I could click. I believe that there were three. Certaibnly two from other photos.

But a couple pictures here. On the left photo zoomed out a bit the dolphin is middle upper left. The right zoomed in more

The puzzle of course is what would attract all these critters to one spot? A school of fish? A school of squid?

Fish at the surface (perhaps driven up by the cetaceans) attracts the birds. Cetaceans find fish by sonar and trap them against the sea surface, but you knew that. If you see a cluster of seabirds fishing frenetically, its a good idea to look for cetaceans under them.

The reason I say "cetaceans" is that your photos show Harbour Porpoises, not Common Dolphins. Dorsal fins are not falcate but triangular and are proportionately quite small. Good, useful pictures!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back