• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you don't like... (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I've searched for whether this topic has been discussed before but the search didn't bring anything up so here it is.

Now before we get the usual members getting all uptight can I just say that of course we all love birds (obviously), but just like members of our work colleagues and families, there can be some birds that you just don't get along with ;)

Magpies. A striking-looking bird, but it is a big bully (yes, I do understand that that is just nature/natural/genetic and not a personality trait) and its call is just the most horrible sounding bird call I know (and yes, I do understand that that is also just nature/natural/genetic and not a personality trait either).

Starlings. An intelligent and tough little fella, but I just see them as the 'scally' of the bird world (well, here in the UK anyway) and, grantedbecause of mans littering, they always seem to be hanging around bins and rubbish and when you're trying to enjoy a nice day at the seaside they just seem to hassle you and mob you (like a gang of hoodies) and poop on your car ;)

Again, this isn't meant to victimise any particular bird - of course it isn't - it's just being honest (with a little bit of humour intended) that there are some birds that you just don't get along with ;)

Red-legged Partridge & Pheasant. Nothing against them as species, they just shouldn't be here. Introduced merely to be shot at, the former displacing native Greys, the latter predating native reptiles.

Woodpigeons. Again nothing against them as a species but they seem to have an uncanny knack of impersonating all sorts of potentially exciting birds such as raptors from a distance. How many times have you swung the bins onto something that looks hopeful only to find its a woodpig?

Also they seem to have a knack for emptying my feeders no matter how I try to position them so they cannot get at them.

Juvenile gulls. they are just a nightmare to pin down on ID.

Some good replies here - and Andy, don't get me started on ugly birds because all I have to say is turkey ugh!

My girl just dislikes crows, well any black or dark feathered corvid as she thinks they look and act sinister - like a creepy undertaker or a vampire walking with their hands behind their back :eek!:

The local wild turkeys, truth be told, but mostly because I used to be a full-time motorcyclist and one of them tried to kill me once. |8.|

But now I sometimes drive a car and mostly bicycle, so really even the turkeys are off the list.

In the end, ever since I started animal photography in earnest, no bird can really bring me to any real level of dislike. I've even come to love pigeons, and what city-dweller doesn't find pigeons the most annoying poop factory...er, birds...in existence? |:p|

Hi all

I've searched for whether this topic has been discussed before but the search didn't bring anything up so here it is.

Now before we get the usual members getting all uptight can I just say that of course we all love birds (obviously), but just like members of our work colleagues and families, there can be some birds that you just don't get along with ;)

Magpies. A striking-looking bird, but it is a big bully (yes, I do understand that that is just nature/natural/genetic and not a personality trait) and its call is just the most horrible sounding bird call I know (and yes, I do understand that that is also just nature/natural/genetic and not a personality trait either).

Starlings. An intelligent and tough little fella, but I just see them as the 'scally' of the bird world (well, here in the UK anyway) and, grantedbecause of mans littering, they always seem to be hanging around bins and rubbish and when you're trying to enjoy a nice day at the seaside they just seem to hassle you and mob you (like a gang of hoodies) and poop on your car ;)

Again, this isn't meant to victimise any particular bird - of course it isn't - it's just being honest (with a little bit of humour intended) that there are some birds that you just don't get along with ;)

Nobody is being uptight, just defending birds against disgusting human beings who want to project a bunch of crap upon them as you do here. Indeed you are victimizing the birds and if anyone is 'horrible', 'scally', 'bully' or a 'hassler' it is you :-O ;) not da birds :)

Flamingos and Giant Petrels, ugly buggers both.

A

Some good replies here - and Andy, don't get me started on ugly birds because all I have to say is turkey ugh!

Why am I not surprised at the englishmen calling priceless innocent unique birds 'ugly' :-O :news:

Birds I don’t like

My list total is 0

I agree with Mike! :t:

Nobody is being uptight, just defending birds against disgusting human beings who want to project a bunch of crap upon them as you do here. Indeed you are victimizing the birds and if anyone is 'horrible', 'scally', 'bully' or a 'hassler' it is you :-O ;) not da birds :)

Why am I not surprised at the englishmen calling priceless innocent unique birds 'ugly' :-O :news:

I agree with Mike! :t:

In bold. Hey, I know you've put 'smilies' in you reply, but I would never project a buch of crap on any bird.

And why would members reply with 'I like all birds' when the topic for this thread is 'Birds you don't like' ?

It's like someone posting a thread called 'I like cheesecake - what's your favourite cheesecake' and then people replying 'I don't like cheesecake'!?!?!

If members want to set up a thread called 'I love all birds and how dare you not like all birds you heathen' then feel free to do so ;) ;) ;)

P.S. ;)

Birds with monotonous calls/songs.

Wood pigeon is top of my list because they sit on phone cables outside my window and hoo-hoo-HOO-hoo-hoo from dawn until dusk, cr@p all over cars and eat everything that falls from my feeders.
Collared doves come a very close second.

I remember a student band from years ago - Jerry Atrix and the Pacemakers. They were truly awful, combining an inability to tune a guitar with vocal tone akin to Jays. I prefer my birds to be either relatively mute or songsters of great quality. Anything which musically equates to the above mentioned calumny of song should stare down the end of a twelve bore, in my opinion.

Peter

House Sparrows. Their calls really annoy me, and here in the US they're killers towards other cavity nesters.

House Sparrows and any other introduced bird that people have moved to another country where they don't belong. House Sparrows kill Swallows, Bluebirds and any other cavity-nesting bird. They go into their house and kill the whole family and even use the bodies for nesting material. I have seen them do it and I have seen them clamp onto a Purple's Martin's belly and drag it to the ground and kill it. Bluebirds used to be a common backyard bird in North America until the House Sparrows arrived. I don't have a problem with birds killing other birds if it is a natural behaviour. I don't consider the House Sparrows to be natural because people brought them here. They are not a native species. I am going to England in August and I am looking forward to House Sparrows that I will enjoy seeing in their natural habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back