• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 12x50 or 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Nase

Hello, I want to ask which is sharper, contraster, brighter, clearer and more 3D: SV 10x50 or SV 12x50? Which will be better for detailed view of distant objects? Many thanks!

Hello, I want to ask which is sharper, contraster, brighter, clearer and more 3D: SV 10x50 or SV 12x50? Which will be better for detailed view of distant objects? Many thanks!
The overall view is about the same. I never found 3D to be an issue beyond 100-200 feet. The 12X will have less depth of field (I find the 10X DOF to be somewhat annoying at close range requiring a lot of refocus).

I tested (hand-held) these two models outside on targets within 100-1000 meters on several occasions. The 12X image was a bit larger but I experienced more with the 10X. I bought the 10X50 and have never looked back, though I do know people love their 12X50's. With every increase in magnification two things degrade the image: (1) handshake and (2) atmospherics.

Thanks. I mean if the extra magnification of 12x50 worth it, because 10x50 will be brighter and easier handheld.

That depends on your target size, atmospherics, lighting, stabilization, etc.
Stars look good and most of them are beyond 1K. B :)

Heh heh. Thank you for that one.

More and more I feel like binoculars are like purpose built footwear: hiking, running, mud, difficult terrain, night on the town... There is no perfect shoe any more than there is a binocular that will suit everyone, ALL the time. The good news is that, for the most part, very good optics are affordable to suit most of these needs. Just not in a single package.... any more than shoes are. ;-)

My thursday night theory, which must be taken with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

Bill

My experience was the opposite of what Pileatus found, namely that 1) the 12x view was more satisfying to me than the 10x, 2) there was no difference in brightness between the two as long as ambient light levels were high enough to keep my pupils at 4mm or smaller, and 3) the 12x was not noticeably more difficult to hold steady than the 10x. I sold the 10x and kept the 12.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back