• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-winged Junco candidate 3+white retraces - Michigan US (1 Viewer)

chipperatl

White-winged Junco candidate 3+white retrices - Michigan US

I had this bird from Feb 6th to April 2nd in 2019. Wing-bars visible to the naked eye. Bird was very easy to spot for me due to the color being more blue-gray than what I normally see around here, plus the wing-bars. I did get one shot in which it shows 3 white tail feathers, with 10-20% white on r3. I've reached out to some others on this bird also and received a few responses. Nothing definitive yet, other than our local Slate-colored are 60% max white on r4, with nothing on r3.

Multiple other shots are on this page.

Attachments

• _91A1780.jpg
    _91A1780.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 69
  • _91A2318.jpg
    _91A2318.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 42
  • _91A2359-2.jpg
    _91A2359-2.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 45
  • _91A2326.jpg
    _91A2326.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 49
  • _91A9785.jpg
    _91A9785.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Thanks everyone. @Microtus - I have tried to contact Christian Nunes via Flickr as his name popped up on a few articles I've researched. Hopefully I can have enough convincing evidence to convict the Records Committee.

Thanks everyone. @Microtus - I have tried to contact Christian Nunes via Flickr as his name popped up on a few articles I've researched. Hopefully I can have enough convincing evidence to convict the Records Committee.

And convince them too! ;)

Good luck! It looks plausible to me, especially after viewing your blog photos which for some reason I only realized existed today.

I bet. This could be a first state record? That would be nervous making.
eBird has one record East of the Mississippi, from Massachusetts. In my research there may be records from Wisconsin, Tennessee and Indiana. This bird is not prone to vagrancy, but the records from California, Oregon and Texas are almost as far away from their normal range as where this bird was seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back