• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alcid - Offshore, Ventura, California (1 Viewer)

mustap

Single unidentified Alcid took flight ahead of Island Packers boat returning from Santa Cruz Island. (closer to Ventura Harbor) - in Santa Barbara Channel i believe.

Attachments

• Unidentified_Alcid_1.jpg
    Unidentified_Alcid_1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Unidentified_Alcid_2.jpg
    Unidentified_Alcid_2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 147
I think a juvenile Common Murre would be a better fit. They are abundant in this area, while Marbled Murrelets are rare south of Point Conception.

Common Murre ( Common Guillemot ) would have proportionally shorter wings, be much more cleanly marked ( in black and white, the bird in the photos appears more greyish in tone ), would have a longer / sharper looking bill, even allowing for foreshortening, and be indistinguishable from an adult if it had reached the stage where it was able to fly.

Common Murre ( Common Guillemot ) would have proportionally shorter wings, be much more cleanly marked ( in black and white, the bird in the photos appears more greyish in tone ), would have a longer / sharper looking bill, even allowing for foreshortening, and be indistinguishable from an adult if it had reached the stage where it was able to fly.

I meant to say juvenile or molting adult. I just saw hundreds off Monterey that looked just like this one. They are not cleanly marked at this stage. I'm not saying it couldn't be a MAMU, but I think overall a Common Murre is a better fit.

Having spent some more time on the water, I am quite convinced the bird in question is a Cassin's Auklet. I got some much better views, and captured sequence of shots transitioning into those similar to the attached views. Thank you all for the feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back