• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bang for buck? (1 Viewer)

markdjr

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, tried searching for something conclusive. I have a swarovski booster and I am looking to pick up my first pair of swaro binos. I want 10x42 and want to be compatible with my booster. I'm willing to spend 1500-1700 but if I could stay closer to 1000 that would be great. Which version do you all recommend to get the most bang for the buck, slc/el? Which generation? Thanks a lot for any feedback.

SLC-HD is as good as anything ever produced and can sometimes be found for $1000-1500. The new SLC WB is as good optically but does not have as short of a close focus, and has a differemt rubberized armor.

Hi Markdjr, :hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Does your booster have adapters with it?

I have a booster which I use on occasion on my 7x42 SLC B which was made in 2006. It screws directly onto the binocular after removing an eye cup. It also came with 2 adapters: One is for use with an SLC 10x42 and the other with the two EL-32/Binoculars.

With my booster you would have to get the earlier model SLC for it to fit. I believe I have read that the new SLCs can't use the booster but I am not certain about that.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My booster does have the adapter rings. I had read about the lack of compatability, but i am confused about which models are which. Does that mean i need the slc neu? Would i be better off just selling the booster and getting new els? Or if I'm going to use booster, should i get old els as opposed to slc neu?

Hi Markdjr, :hi:

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Does your booster have adapters with it?

I have a booster which I use on occasion on my 7x42 SLC B which was made in 2006. It screws directly onto the binocular after removing an eye cup. It also came with 2 adapters: One is for use with an SLC 10x42 and the other with the two EL-32/Binoculars.

With my booster you would have to get the earlier model SLC for it to fit. I believe I have read that the new SLCs can't use the booster but I am not certain about that.

Bob

Thanks for the replies. My booster does have the adapter rings. I had read about the lack of compatability, but i am confused about which models are which. Does that mean i need the slc neu? Would i be better off just selling the booster and getting new els? Or if I'm going to use booster, should i get old els as opposed to slc neu?

I don't think the booster will work with the new SV ELs or the new SLCs. What you should do is phone SONA (Swarovski of North America) to confirm this. They will be more than willing to help you out on this.

Note that the EL adapter is for the older 8x32 EL and 10x32 EL and not for the older 8.5x42 EL.

Personally I think your original choice of a 10x42 SLC neu is an excellent choice. Using the booster with it would give you 20x42 with a 2.1 exit pupil. You would have to get an 8x32 EL to get a 2mm exit pupil while using the booster at 16x32. The exit pupil of the 10x32 at 20x32 would be a tiny 1.6mm.

Bob

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, tried searching for something conclusive. I have a swarovski booster and I am looking to pick up my first pair of swaro binos. I want 10x42 and want to be compatible with my booster. I'm willing to spend 1500-1700 but if I could stay closer to 1000 that would be great. Which version do you all recommend to get the most bang for the buck, slc/el? Which generation? Thanks a lot for any feedback.

From what I've learned, I don't think the Swaro. booster has been very popular as a useful tool to double your viewing.

Swarovski has discontinued these and they are no longer available for any of the newer models.

That being said, I would not make the purchase of your next binocular
depend on a booster you own.

In your budget stated above, I would look for a preowned EL SV, or
you could get a new or used SLC HD. These binoculars are both very
good, and will serve you very well.

Good luck with your search. Be sure you reply back, when you have made your decision.

Jerry

From what I've learned, I don't think the Swaro. booster has been very popular as a useful tool to double your viewing.

Swarovski has discontinued these and they are no longer available for any of the newer models.

That being said, I would not make the purchase of your next binocular
depend on a booster you own.

In your budget stated above, I would look for a preowned EL SV, or
you could get a new or used SLC HD. These binoculars are both very
good, and will serve you very well.

Good luck with your search. Be sure you reply back, when you have made your decision.

Jerry

I agree about the booster not dictating my decision, my primary concern is getting a good deal/bang for buck. I figure the booster was just a bonus and wasn't sure about compatibility. I think I am going to go for the SLC HD or a pair of EL Swarobright, whichever good deal comes first.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back