• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High Grade Pocket Monocular (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Advice...

Does anybody know of a High Grade pocket Monocular....I'm after something like a 25x50 or 20x60......

A high grade pocket zoom is ok as well....But would prefer a fixed magnification with a wider fov...

Can't seem to find anything.......

Cheers Tim

Possibly because 20x50 or 20x60 instruments are usually referred to as spotting scopes perhaps?! Why a 'monocular'? Won't an ED travel scope with the flexibility of interchangeable eyepieces fulfil your requirements? I'm intrigued.

RB

Hi,

agreed, the term monocular seems to be used only for typical binocular magnifications. Beyond that, it tends to be called spotting scope or maybe drawtube scope, if you're into that.

The question is, do you insist on straight (like monoculars) or is angled ok too. Also do you plan to use a monopod or use hand-held (if you can do that I would love to learn the technique ;-).

Joachim

Thanks for your replies ....

Basically I've had Zeiss and Swarovski spotting scopes ....There to big for me.....I just want a small high grade straight monocular .....Leica do one and they call it a monocular...But it's just a small telescope ....So monocular, spotting scope or telescope. Choose whichever term you feel more comfortable with..

I just want a pocket High grade 20x50 or 20x60 straight monocular, spotting scope or telescope.

Cheers Tim

Minolta 250mm f/5.6? mirror lens plus a Japanese monocular converter. This gives a straight through 25x magnification
But these fetch $1,000 now.
It fits in a pocket.

There are cheaper 300mm or 350mm mirror lenses, but some are poor quality. A Japanese one is likely to be
better.
These all have large central obstructions, so lose contrast.

Look up Horace Dall pocket telescopes. He made dozens, but most are in museums or in private collector's hands.
I doubt anyone could make one today at an affordable price.

I have a very small 18x Broadhurst Clarkson Hawk drawtube scope but only about 24mm? aperture.
The 20x50 Russian drawtube scope is too big for the pocket and has a narrow field.

The Yukon 50mm scopes are too big for the pocket and are not high quality

Basically, finding a 50mm or 60mm scope that fits in a pocket it needs to be a mirror scope.

Regards,
B.

Thanks for your replies ....

Basically I've had Zeiss and Swarovski spotting scopes ....There to big for me.....I just want a small high grade straight monocular .....Leica do one and they call it a monocular...But it's just a small telescope ....So monocular, spotting scope or telescope. Choose whichever term you feel more comfortable with..

I just want a pocket High grade 20x50 or 20x60 straight monocular, spotting scope or telescope.

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim ... The problem I see with your search is : One of Two, a monocular with a 50mm or 60mm objective lens is not going to fit comfortably in what would be a normal size pocket. Whether it be a shirt or jacket. Last but probably the most important, I do not think a pocket monocular of High Grade of that size exists. The Highest Grade monoculars I have owned that I would consider to be of Professional quality would be a Opticron DBA Oasis monocular which has been discontinued being replaced by the ED version the DBA VHD. I have the older version of the DBA Oasis 10x42. This brings up the fact that these only range from 8x to 10 power with only having a 42mm lens size. I can tell you by owning the Opticron 10x42 DBA Oasis, it does not fit comfortably in any normal size shirt or jacket I wear. It will fit in a few of my cargo field shirts which have wider/roomier pockets. Below is a picture of the Opticron 10x with the 42mm lens size, smaller and lighter than a 10x42 binocular. It is about as large as I would like to carry in any large shirt or jacket pocket having only half the power range you want. When I use the word comfortably, it’s because even with the Opticron smaller lens size of 42mm I know it’s there on my chest or in my jacket pocket on my hip. Even if you could find a monocular of that size, how would you carry it ? In a shoulder pack ?
Good luck with your search.

Attachments

• 5657F678-654E-4160-9F4D-024B224A4A77.jpg
    5657F678-654E-4160-9F4D-024B224A4A77.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
This is probably as close as your initial request (a 50mm spotting scope) that can be coupled to a wide angled x 25ish eyepiece.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/fieldscopes/mm4-travelscopes/mm4-50-ga-ed-travelscope

Hi,

either that or the discontinued MM3 ED 50 straight (if you can find one used - the current MM3 non-ed 50 is only available angled) with either the 40931 HR2 WA Eyepiece (20x) or the nicer 40831 HDF T WW Eyepiece (18x) will come close to what you want... an ep that gives 25x in the 50mm ones is currently not available.

Or the Kowa 502, a bit lighter and smaller, but has non-replaceable zoom EP 20-40x which will be fairly narrow at the 20x end.

Or splurge for a Nikon ED 50 straight with either the 20/30/38x wide or the 27/40/50x wide EP..

Or have a look at the super tiny and small Opticron MMS stabilized monocular - it will give 21x with either the HDF or SDLv2 zoom at max magnification and 24x with the HR zooms. All of those willbe quite wide at the high magnification end. My SDLv2 at the high end has an afov of 68 deg - comparable to wide angle fixed EPs.

Joachim

Last edited:
ticl2184,
There are quite a few Russian monoculars around in our country ranging from porros to more compact or compact collapsible telescopes. They are not expensive at all and their performance is not too bad.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back