• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Across the border.. (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I sneaked across the border into Durham today from Northumberland.( without my passport ).My first stop was Thornley Woods feeding station. I love this place there's always good numbers of birds to see here. Large Numbers of Great and Blue Tits were enjoying the peanuts, with the odd Coal Tit nipping in when they wernt looking. Scores of Chaffinch,Blackbirds and Robins took advantage of the seed on offer. A few Nuthatch made a brief visit along with a Great Spotted Woodpecker. Then all hell broke loose as a Sparrowhawk swooped in looking for lunch.(it missed )..And a Grey Squirrel made me smile as it nicked peanuts from the feeders (no sign of any Reds.....a shame!!!)
Then I popped down the road to Far pasture to see "Salty's" Kites (Red Kite). waited an hour before one showed well but quite distant. Jackdaws, Wood Pigeons and 3 Snipe kept me entertained while waiting..Overall a cracking couple of hours "south of the border"
Here is a few photos I managed ...

Last edited:
Well, seeing that your guestbook is still under construction - I'll say it here and now: very nice little site you've got there and some great photos! Should I ever be in that neck of the woods - you've 'advertised' it enticingly enough to DEFINITELY stop and visit!
Bluetit
P.S.: And I don't care what anyone says about the greys, I love them! Like the pic where it's managed to pull the corner of the feeder open, aaaah - success!!!! Is that in the next pic? B.

bluetit said:
Well, seeing that your guestbook is still under construction - I'll say it here and now: very nice little site you've got there and some great photos! Should I ever be in that neck of the woods - you've 'advertised' it enticingly enough to DEFINITELY stop and visit!
Bluetit
P.S.: And I don't care what anyone says about the greys, I love them! Like the pic where it's managed to pull the corner of the feeder open, aaaah - success!!!! Is that in the next pic? B.

Thanks Blue Tit
Having to run both sites till new one is regonized in search engines..
Hope you visit some time.. Its a beautiful place
Yes 2nd pic is of squirrel enjoying his plunder.... :D

nice shots wee man!

surprised you had to wait an hour for a kite to show!

usually get them straight away, or within 10 mins from outside near the sewage works. also had hunting sparrowhawks, kestrels and even the buzzard this week from there on the same day too!

i take it you didnt get the kingfisher at far pastures too then!

glad you enjoyed your visit, and i will let you off for not having the right documentation when popping into my patch;)

salty said:
glad you enjoyed your visit, and i will let you off for not having the right documentation when popping into my patch;)

Whereas I will not let you off for this blatant & flagrant breakage of border protocol.

Next time you'll be shot;-)

Sorry Darren mate, it's all these trips to Berlin & Checkpoint Charlie, it's getting to me;-)

salty said:
nice shots wee man!

surprised you had to wait an hour for a kite to show!

usually get them straight away, or within 10 mins from outside near the sewage works. also had hunting sparrowhawks, kestrels and even the buzzard this week from there on the same day too!

i take it you didnt get the kingfisher at far pastures too then!

Thanks Richie,
I did have a Sparrowhawk there but no sign of any Buzzards..No Kingfisher either..
Quacker your getting worse.....lol make sure you have your passport next time you pop over here then... ;) ;) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back