• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lcd hood (1 Viewer)

Neil

I picked up this screen hood while I was in Florida recently. I was on the beach yesterday and couldn't see anything on the P5100 screen, despite it's excellent brightness. Put the hood on with elastic bands and I was able to get the series of Reef Egret images that I posted in my Gallery yesterday. Neil.

Attachments

• lcd screen hood IMG_7252.jpg
    lcd screen hood IMG_7252.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 225
Hi Neil

I have been using this homemade one for over a year now :t:

Just go ever so carefull the sun doesn't shine onto the hood lens, as it is a magnifying lens, remember when you were younger, setting fire to things with a magnifying lens.
Well it will destroy the pixels in the lcd screen of the camera. I am sure you know this, but have mentioned it just in case.

The picture below shows my homemade hood. When not looking through it, you can hinge it forward to stop the sun shining into it. :-O Couldn't digiscope without it, so much easier than trying to see an image on the lcd screen, in the daylight

Thanks for your continued input on the forum and superb pictures.

Malc

http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5100page5.htm

Attachments

• DSCF0087res.jpg
    DSCF0087res.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Nice,

I really need one of those, too hard to focus in the daylight. What's brand is that one Neil?

Regards Björn

Hi Neil

I have been using this homemade one for over a year now :t:

Just go ever so carefull the sun doesn't shine onto the hood lens, as it is a magnifying lens, remember when you were younger, setting fire to things with a magnifying lens.
Well it will destroy the pixels in the lcd screen of the camera. I am sure you know this, but have mentioned it just in case.

The picture below shows my homemade hood. When not looking through it, you can hinge it forward to stop the sun shining into it. :-O Couldn't digiscope without it, so much easier than trying to see an image on the lcd screen, in the daylight

Thanks for your continued input on the forum and superb pictures.

Malc

http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5100page5.htm

Malc,
Nice one.
Neil.

Is there any advantage to have a 2x loupe like the xtend-a-view over that "non magnifying" loupe? Is the P5100 screen good enough to be magnified 2x?

Regards Björn

Neil,

You might consider putting velcro around the loupe and along the border of the camera's viewer. I keep my loupe on a lanyard around my neck and it sticks well enough for clear viewing in any lighting condition.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back