• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar B1 vs Meopro HD? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hi all,

Does anyone here have personal experience using both of these? I'm trying to decide which to purchase and from a specification standpoint, the Meopro HD is more appealing, but the Meostar B1 always received rave reviews. Unfortunately there exists no 8x42 Meostar HD, or that is where I'd lean.

Regards,
Justin

Justin,

I spent about half an hour playing with the different Meopta models on their stand at BirdFair on Friday. I know from past comparisons that the Meostar HD 10x 42 was a useful improvement over then non-HD. This time I payed more attention to the Meopro 8x32 vs. the Meostar 8x32. The Meopro offers a clean bright image with reasonable CA control, but in my opinions it was outclassed by the Meostar. The latter had better effective resolution, contrast and stray light control and for me, much nicer ergonomics. We could argue over which had the most natural colour balance or CA control, but the Meostar just delivered another level of structural detail that the Meopro couldn't. No contest for me. The Meostar was the winner.

David

Thanks David,
My new employer has a policy through which I can purchase new binos, so I'm trying to get a handle on what I should be looking into. It is unfortunate that neither a) the Meostar HD comes as 8x42 and b) the Meopro doesn't live up to the standards of the Meostar. (I'd pick up the 8x32, but it has very short eye-relief that I feel would be inefficient for my glasses.)

I guess I should keep looking.

Justin

The Meostar 8x32 was fine with my glasses but yes, 15.5mm would be a problem some. Wouldn't the Cabellas Euro HD be the answer?

David

I have a MeoStar 10x50, a Cabelas Euro HD 8x32, and a brand new MeoPro HD 10x42. I am recovering from a recent move back to NC but am about ready to start playing again.

I got the MeoPro after being wowed in store at being able to read smaller print off hand with it than I expected. It seems surprisingly sharp and the barrels nestle in my hands well. I got the display model to make sure I got the right one but my copy strikes me as being very sharp and the CA control seems quite a bit better than my 10x50 regular MeoStar. The focuser and eye cups are very clearly cheaper than the MeoStar line. Glare control is not as good. The coatings are much "cleaner" than the MeoStar high contrast flavor.

I will compare it to my Euro and look for CA. I do remember being somewhat dissapointed that the Euro HD did not reduce CA more than it did. I don't use it very much as I prefer the lighter, wider,and brighter/cleaner M7 8x30 or my Conquest HD 8x42 for my 8x stuff.

I need to add that I am very fickle about my love for high contrast and "clean" coatings. I change my mind over which is my favorite very often. I will also compare the two 10xs to see what I think of the comparative sharpness in a contest setting.

Last edited:
Meostar 7x50

My Meostar 7x50 is an excellent bin, with great eye relief and a very relaxed view. In fact, I was delighted with it until I compared it to a pair of porros and realised that it has a yellow cast. It's a great bin, but it suffers by comparison with one that has a cleaner view.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back