• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative for PhraseExpress? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I've been using PhraseExpress for years now and would be lost without it, but am getting extremely fed up with the recent constant nagging to pay.

There's always been the odd reminder that business users should pay for it, but I'm long retired.

This last few weeks it's been pretty constant, sometimes two or three times a day and when the pop-up message arrives, it actually pastes some of the message into what I'm typing!!!

Does anyone know if there is an alternative option?

this shouldn't be happening. you may have a phrase that is triggering it
try contacting them Delia, seriously, they have (had) a decent rep on writers forums i used to be on

is this another thing since the latest win10 update? may be related

Hi Jape

Thanks.... no, it's very new, just about 2-3 weeks. And the last time it came up this afternoon (3rd time today) and I tried to get rid of the pop up, it opened a new tab 'Buy PhraseExpress': https://www.phraseexpress.com/docs13/09/shop.php

Prior to this, it was just very occasional and I didn't mind that.... well too much LOL.

On my last laptop I lost the use of some keys, Left Shift key, S, a... and in the top row the 6 ^ and the 8 and 9 (opening bracket of course) as well.... so I put all these on PE; you can imagine how many times I was using PE for these replacements (particularly a and s). Well the numbers were OK with the keypad.... and PE didn't complain.... much LOL.

Hmmmm.... just looked up how to contact PE and found this:

Please understand, that customer support is reserved for paying customers with a valid maintenance.

Sorry Kevin, I missed your post.

It's Windows and yes, I've always used the free version. The paid one is for business use.

It's Windows and yes, I've always used the free version. The paid one is for business use.
I don't use Windows enough to need a product like this, but I do use one like it on the Mac (TypeIt4Me) and iOS (iOS has the ability to do this built-in, sorta).

PhraseExpress, AutoHotKey, and Texter come-up as free Windows-based alternatives based on some quick Google research.

Thanks very much Kevin.

I tried Googling, but obviously didn't use the right key words, and didn't get anywhere.

Huh??? Facebook run ads too - that's no more 'my platform' than this is surely?

Anyway, I wouldn't know, I don't see any ads on here - none at all LOL

Delia, I think what MilkyWay is getting at is why not pay for the software and get support? "Freeware" is a actually a bit of a misnomer and many developers really are looking for you to pitch-in at some point.

For example, I paid for TypeIt4Me, ControllerMate, DragThing *years* ago, just once, and I have been getting free updates ever since. A number of other pieces of "free" software I finally ponied-up for to support the developer.

Much freeware is really "donationware," they rather hope you'll pay for it eventually.

Smartphones changed that with ultra-cheap and free (ad-based) software but these developers don't make alot of money. Many are slowly moving away from ads and freeware to pricing that they can actually live off of. I have actually paid for a few $30+ apps on my iPhone for this reason and that's still a far cry from $60 video games, $150+ apps, and $50+/mo. subscriptions to software (I angrily glare at you Adobe).

So maybe you should consider supporting the developer if you enjoy the software and rely on it so much, whether or not it's for personal use. Then you ditch the ads and get support.

My 2¢ worth.

But they insist it's free for personal use (which it is for me).

Professionals paying get access to PE facilities that would be of no interest or use for me at all.

I'm living on a retirement pension.

Prices are in dollars... and I don't have a PayPal account (don't really want one either), and this laptop won't even allow me to access the PP website.

safe browsing

???

And looking for Cortana on here only brought up a screen saying "Can I help you". But as I don't know what Cortana is, I didn't know what to say LOL

I know this is off topic, but have you considered the alternatives such as ACDSee?
I work in and support Marketing/design, so Photoshop is essentially mandatory.

I don't currently have to pay for it (my employer does), but I'm still incredibly annoyed by the whole "leasing software" movement. "Pay up or you can't use any of your old files created with our software" is blackmail, essentially.

ACDSee looks nice, and is even compatible with my TopazLabs plugins. But if you work in an industry, it behooves you to learn and use their software, lest you should fall behind.

???

And looking for Cortana on here only brought up a screen saying "Can I help you". But as I don't know what Cortana is, I didn't know what to say LOL

Cortana is your friendly help assistant. she is however also a spy and a bit of a dominatrix, she controls many aspects of your computing life behind your back and tattles to the boss about your activities. i suspect that some of your recent problems are her and the power she has over your life. if she will allow, do a google search about her. you may find she makes you use Bing, her stunted half-brother, and takes you out onto the Edge when you prefer a quite browse with Firefox. don't worry, some of us know how to cut her strings ...

Cortana is your friendly help assistant. she is however also a spy and a bit of a dominatrix, she controls many aspects of your computing life behind your back and tattles to the boss about your activities. i suspect that some of your recent problems are her and the power she has over your life. if she will allow, do a google search about her. you may find she makes you use Bing, her stunted half-brother, and takes you out onto the Edge when you prefer a quite browse with Firefox. don't worry, some of us know how to cut her strings ...
The sarcasm is strong with this one...

The sarcasm is strong with this one...

sorry, it was meant as light humour! im not good at that stuff.

it comes from being reasonably competent at computing, getting win10 finally as i wanted it, even enjoying it with some reservations then a forced update changed it all back to MS preferences and undid it all! cortana was back, edge kept being used not my own choice from searches and so on. hence i recently went linux and rooted android.

you can use regedit to control a fair bit however we all know that is sometimes risky. MS with win10 is now like google. it can be easy and convenient but there is a price to pay in privacy and control

Last edited:
Well.... I've googled Cortana and don't understand a word of what they're talking about LOL

I know one thing though, I'll not be recommending PhraseExpress to anyone any more!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back