• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Now 81 for the year - bring it on! Wonder if this is the same first winter Little Gull that was wandering various West Midlands waters a few weeks ago?

I was wondering the same Phil. Would be good to see any pics of it to compare with the Grimley bird on December 23rd.

A new bird in at Farmoor this afternoon so may be the Upton bird is new too........

Brian

Today myself, Andy H and Anna from the Trust finished off the cutting process
(with chainsaws) in the NE woodland.
The tall parallel lines of Ash trees at the front of the wood were coppiced and many were treated (because they are simply in the wrong place). The large ash tree in the middle of the wood was also coppiced and treated. This resulted in an immediate visual impact, 'opening' up the northern part of the wood. After these selective clearings, most of the scrub species will now be opened up to the south facing sunlight in spring and summer. This should increase the number and diversity of butterflies and other insects into this previously 'barren' area.
Several large logs have been left in situ, to break down and create micro habitats. The dead hedge was also built up today, to limit any wanderings and minimise disturbance.

The photos show before and after today's work
Pic 1 - shows the 'parallel' line of ash trees at the front of the wood shading out the scrub.
pic 2 - shows how the are looks after the work
pic 3 - This is the large ash tree in the centre of the northern section, the area around this tree is devoid of any scrub.
pic 4 - this is how the area looks after the work, the trunk will be left in situ.
B :)John

Attachments

• A1. NE wood looking north from opp lifestyles 10jan 12 (3).jpg
    A1. NE wood looking north from opp lifestyles 10jan 12 (3).jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 2. NE wud the parallel ash tres coppiced 20th Jan 12 (2).jpg
    2. NE wud the parallel ash tres coppiced 20th Jan 12 (2).jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 3. NE wd large ASh 2 b chopped (2).jpg
    3. NE wd large ASh 2 b chopped (2).jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 4  large ash down.jpg
    4 large ash down.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Just seen what worryingly looks like Arthur's car smashed into a lamp post by the roundabout at the southern end of Bromsgrove - anyone know anything?

Just seen what worryingly looks like Arthur's car smashed into a lamp post by the roundabout at the southern end of Bromsgrove - anyone know anything?
Phil I meant to email you all.
On Tuesday afternoon I drove past a white car that had smashed into a lamp post at the small roundabout down from the Hanbury turn. I went passed yesterday and noticed the Upton stickers on the car. It's front was all smashed up and the airbag had been activated. There was also police tape around it.
I rang him yesterday and again today, but no answer phone clicked in, having let it ring for a couple of minutes each time. Didn't see him at the reserve either. I am not quite sure where he lives in the village but when I find out I will call round. If anyone has seen him since Tuesday could you let us know, to make sure he is OK.
John

Phil I meant to email you all.
On Tuesday afternoon I drove past a white car that had smashed into a lamp post at the small roundabout down from the Hanbury turn. I went passed yesterday and noticed the Upton stickers on the car. It's front was all smashed up and the airbag had been activated. There was also police tape around it.
I rang him yesterday and again today, but no answer phone clicked in, having let it ring for a couple of minutes each time. Didn't see him at the reserve either. I am not quite sure where he lives in the village but when I find out I will call round. If anyone has seen him since Tuesday could you let us know, to make sure he is OK.
John

Just walked past it on the way back from the Warren and saw the Upton stickers too. I reckon it is Arthurs. Hope he's OK

Just walked past it on the way back from the Warren and saw the Upton stickers too. I reckon it is Arthurs. Hope he's OK

I did some calls of care-homes in Bromsgrove and established that he is with his wife after a brief spell in hospital. Apparently he is ok, just a few bruises. His car is going to be recoverd soon.

Des.

Birding was painfully slow this morning:

MOORS POOL
4 Pochard 16 Shoveler 2 Grey Heron 69 Teal 19 Tufted Duck 34 Cormorant 3 Mute Swan 1 Little Grebe 3 GC Grebe Peregrine 5 Canada G

SAILING POOL
1 GC Grebe 21 Greylag G 145 Canada G 2 Mute Swan

FLASHES
8 Teal 50 Lapwing

A first winter Common Gull over sailing pool this afternoon. 12 Common Snipes were flushed from Amy's Marsh by a low-flying Buzzard. 17 Curlews commuting between there and the A38 fields. 2 Goldcrests along Salwarpe.

A first winter Common Gull over sailing pool this afternoon. 12 Common Snipes were flushed from Amy's Marsh by a low-flying Buzzard. 17 Curlews commuting between there and the A38 fields. 2 Goldcrests along Salwarpe.

Spent nearly 2 hours in the Education reserve first thing failing to see Lesser Pecker, but got 2 Treecreeper, heard Coal Tit, 6 Goldcrest, a large mixed flock of Redpoll, Siskin, Goldfinch, Blue,Great and Long Tailed Tit all on Alders. Redwing, Fieldfare and Song Thrush, 2 Great Spotted Woodies

Moors as per Phil plus Sparrowhawk and Green Woodpecker on the North Moors.

Highlight was one flowering Lesser Celandine along the path by the Salwarpe, and 4 more on the bank. Spring has arrived!

PS - anyone remember film photography? Here's a scanned photo of the Moors I took last week (and a couple more in the photo stream) Very retro..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6727261661/in/photostream

Last edited:
Spent nearly 2 hours in the Education reserve first thing failing to see Lesser Pecker, but got 2 Treecreeper, heard Coal Tit, 6 Goldcrest, a large mixed flock of Redpoll, Siskin, Goldfinch, Blue,Great and Long Tailed Tit all on Alders. Redwing, Fieldfare and Song Thrush, 2 Great Spotted Woodies

Moors as per Phil plus Sparrowhawk and Green Woodpecker on the North Moors.

Highlight was one flowering Lesser Celandine along the path by the Salwarpe, and 4 more on the bank. Spring has arrived!

PS - anyone remember film photography? Here's a scanned photo of the Moors I took last week (and a couple more in the photo stream) Very retro..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6727261661/in/photostream

Do you mean you can still buy 35mm film and get it developed.:eek!:

Highlights of a morning's birding with Mike were:

MOORS POOL
33 Tufted Duck 5 GC Grebe 11 Shoveler 82 Teal 119 Coot 1 Shelduck 43 Cormorant 17 Curlew

SAILING POOL
23 Greylag Geese

FLASHES
A further 22 Teal adult Herring Gull 2 adult LBB Gull. 5 Bullfinch on the feeding station.

PS Tracked down Gert's Lesser Celandine - looks like its now resident! ;)

Last edited:
To the above I can only add Water Rail feeding in the centre channel on the North Moors Pool and two Pochard (which Phil obviously failed to spot in his scan of my notebook ;)) on the Moors Pool.

Dave, Paul A and myself did the afternoon shift.
not a lot to add to Phil's notes
Moors: Pochard 2 fems, Raven
Flashes: Teal 45, Curlew 17 roosted, Lapwing 120. The 350 BHG pre-roosted on the Flashes , but later moved to the sailing pool.
A redpoll flew over calling.
B :)John

Message sent to me on facebook by the Worcester Wildlife Trust

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust Hi Nick. The building work is due to be completed by the end of this month. Following approval by the planning authority, we're hoping the hide will be open by mid-Feb. We're sorry for the delays in the project but are confident you'll be able to visit the new hide soon.
9 minutes ago · Like

Sounds a bit more promising for the hide. Especially when the avocets seem to arrive earlier each year...

Moors Pool - 8.00 am to 1.00 pm.

Duck numbers much as the last few days apart from 5 Pochard (4 males & 1 Fem).

Along stream at back of west hide were 3 Blackcaps (2 male & 1 fem) in with a mixed tit flock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back