• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Animal Sanctuary (1 Viewer)

Reader

This weekend saw me & the missus going down to Ramsgate for a non birding weekend. We have a friend there that is going through a bad time at the moment and we felt a bit of support was needed.

Any way, cutting to the chase, whilst over there we were talking about various things and a local Pet Rescue Centre became the topic of conversation. Sally (our friend) was telling us of a mother and daughter that were totally devoted to running this animal sanctuary by using what funds they had together with what money they could raise via donations of money and items of clothing, bric-brac etc which they could sell on further enhancing their coffers. It is a fairly large concern and takes quite a lot of money for the upkeep of the premises and the upkeep and welfare of the animals. They also started to make their own Jam which they sold on the premises which also raised a bit of money.

A few weeks ago a Councillor dropped by and promptly told them that they couldn’t sell things like that without them becoming a business and fairly quickly they were slapped into the business tax category which promptly raised their taxes from £800 per year to £3,500 per year, which they can’t afford. They are now in serious danger of going under.

We dropped over their on our way home on Sunday and these two women have done a fabulous job in making this place a real child friendly area with a nice walk through the animals, which is called the fairytale walk. This walk has garden ornaments of all shapes and sizes ranging from Disney Characters to small cuddly toys dotted around the ground and trees. It really is an enchanting place to take your children to.

I mentioned to these two ladies about becoming a registered charity, as that would help them in all sorts of ways, but they aren’t bookkeeping type people and would hate it if they had to log every item that was brought in to them (which they would have to do if they became registered). Basically they are doing this because they love animals and didn’t foresee the problems that they are experiencing now.

They have been there for a few years and have done a remarkable job in achieving what they have done so far and it would be a shame if all of this were to end because of red tape. The local paper did a free story about them and this has brought in donations of clothes but obviously they need more as this is a long term problem.

I don’t know if anyone can help with donations, or even advice for them. The name of the animal Sanctuary is Marsh Farm Pet Centre and is situated near to Monkton in Kent. It is a few miles outside of Ramsgate but on a lane that is very much out of the way unless you know of its existence.

We have heard, and we don’t know if this is true, that the Councils are looking for land to build villages on and this area would be in a prime spot. If this sanctuary were forced to close the land would possibly become available for building purposes.

It would be great if someone out there has enough knowledge about the law, or whatever, that could advise them on what is the best way forward to protect what they have.

If anyone could help with donations or advice their phone number is 01843 822318 and the mothers name is Mrs Kulszar, or you could PM me with any questions.

TIA for any help or advice that is given on this matter.

I can't offer any real help, but I can say what a splendid little place it is and deserves all the help it can get. Anyone planning a visit might be more familiar with the pet cemetery which is only up the road a short way, 1/4 mile or so and both are quite close to the Monkton nature reserve in the chalk pit.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I can't offer any real help, but I can say what a splendid little place it is and deserves all the help it can get.
Mick

Hi Mick

When I wrote this I wondered whether you had been there. As you say, It is a lovely place. Regarding the pet cemetary, our friend Sally just lost her dog and buried it there.

If you haven't been for a while I would get down there if you want a bargain, clothes wise. They are selling all the clothes off for 10p and we bought loads. I did give them a bit more than they were charging but they are trying to collate as much money as possible as quickly as possible.

You might find that you have a few things you don't use anymore that you could donate to them. That would be a big help also.

BTW what is that Monkton Nature reserve like? Each time I have been there the gates have been locked so I haven't visited it yet.

Hi Reader,

Will you be in Northumberland on the 21st, because if you are i could bring a few bits up for the charity and next time you are over there you could give them to the sanctuary. I won't be able to take them myself for obvious reasons but if you would like me to do that let me know.

Hi Steven

Thanks for the offer, it is greatly appreciated. I hope to be able to do one of those weekends in Northumberland but because of a few problems I have at the moment am not sure which one, if any at all.

You will see as this thread goes on what my intentions will be closer to the date but if I don't go don't worry. I'm sure to meet up with you before too long. I still owe you another day out and if that happens I can easily pick anything up then.

Reader said:
BTW what is that Monkton Nature reserve like? Each time I have been there the gates have been locked so I haven't visited it yet.

Hi Reader
Bit ashamed to admit I haven't been this year, I can't remember the opening times but I think it's mainly bankholidays. It's well worth a visit if you get the chance and are in the area, their website is at http://www.mnr.manston.net/
I think you will get opening times on there, we have allways just taken pot luck, being local.
Re Marsh Farm, what they need is publicity, we only found them by accident we were going to the pet cemetery and I overshot the entrance and carried on down the road looking for somewhere to safely turn and Marsh Farm was it, we visited there as well, for us it was a great bit of luck.
I do hope they get it sorted, this sort of thing does make you wonder about the mentality of council officers.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Hi Reader
Re Marsh Farm, what they need is publicity, we only found them by accident we were going to the pet cemetery and I overshot the entrance and carried on down the road looking for somewhere to safely turn and Marsh Farm was it, we visited there as well, for us it was a great bit of luck.
I do hope they get it sorted, this sort of thing does make you wonder about the mentality of council officers.

Mick

Hi Mick

Sally told us that one paper (I think it was the Courier, but could be wrong) did do a free piece for them but as yet not a fantastic response. Dare I say that apathy rules again. I would hope that a bit more publicity would come their way but I won't hold my breath. You must have met these two women. They are totally devoted to animals but not the sort of people that have it in them to fight back.

We dropped in there on Sunday and spent over £20 and also donated a further £10. They could do with quite a few more people doing similar on a regular basis but more to the point some good donations is what's needed. It would also be nice if a few of those people that buried their pets just up the road could see it in their hearts to help this sanctuary out.

I checked out the times of Monkton N.R and they are not condusive to good birding times as their times are 11am to 4pm only with a charge of £2 per adult. I think that would suit people with other interests. Birders have so many reserves around your area that Monkton would not be able to compete with those prices and times. I did notice that Nightingales and Turtle Doves appear to breed there though and that's a nice addition for the reserve.

FYI the times of opening of Monkton Nature Reserve are as stated above 11am to 4pm
on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. The reserve is open 50 weeks in the year, but from October through to March the times and days may be reduced due to weather conditions or staff comittments. Telephone 01843 822666 to check on the day :)
The web-site is http://www.mnr.manston.net

Ptych (Ron Stilwell, Head of Centre)

Hi, Ron!

I see this is your first post, so wanted to wish you a warm welcome from all of us on staff here at BirdForum.

Thank you for posting info about Monkton NR. Look forward to more of your participation here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back