• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting in Western Mexico (1 Viewer)

SueO

We are visiting our sailboat which is moored in Barra de Navidad, Mexico and I have had a few nice walks and found two nests going. One is a Sinaloa Wren and the other is a pair of American Oystercatchers. I'm worried about the Oystercatchers. I have seen raccoons on the beach they are on and we still have a few months of hurricane season left. The wren seems a bit odd in that what little research I have done so far they should be nesting April-July at the end of the dry season: https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/sinwre1/breeding
Of course I would see this when we are only here for a week! If we didn't have an Alaskan cruise booked, I would re-schedule my flight and see what happens with these nests. I saw only one wren collecting material for the nest. He (she?) flew first to a low limb, and after a few beats, flew higher up to the nest site. It is in what looks like a fig of some kind. He was singing his heart out too. I hope to get a video of at least the sound tomorrow morning. Don't know if I will get the bird on camera while he sings, but I will try. I am posting a photo of the Oystercatchers. I had a zoom telephoto lens and was at a safe distance. They weren't the least rattled by me. As I was watching them, the bird that was not sitting on the beach suddenly stiffened and raised a leg. I put my bins down and saw a Snowy Egret had just landed and it was waling toward them. I thought there may be a confrontation of some kind, but no, the egret just walked by without incident.

Attachments

• a o.jpg
    a o.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong and the Oystercatcher that is sitting on the beach is not nesting and merely having a rest.;). It was still in the same position at the beginning and end of my walk though.

I saw the oystercatchers in the evening of the 23rd, and bother were standing. I couldn't see a depression or eggs, but that may have been due to angle and distance. I did not see them at all yesterday evening. I got a few more birds for the Barra list: White-throated Flycatcher (waiting for confirmation on the ID forum) and Yellow-green Vireo. I saw a cuckoo that I think was a Mangrove which would be a new one for the Barra list, but the sighting was so fast and I really can't say with certainty that it wasn't a Yellow-billed. Oh well, next time! We leave today. I don't want to go home!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back